Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of warm up do you guys do when you start a cold bike? inquiring mind wants to know... ;D

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking about a fuel injected bike here. I set the fast idle lever to full "open" and gradually "close" the lever until the bike can idle on it's own without stalling. Depending on the temp here in southern California this can take between 1 and 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Mea Culpa. I am a Bad Person. I warm it up for about 30-40 seconds and ride off. It never gets that cold here, so I rationalize the oil isn't so sludgy. I take it easy though for the first few miles.

(I'm usually late for work, if that's any excuse...)

T

·
0 Posts
I follow the same procedure as 'Rich.' This is also the proper procedure per the manual.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i hook up a long metal rod and drive under a clock tower about to be stuck by lightning. That creates the 1.21 gigawatts needed to activate the Flux Capacitor. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I was tols a long time ago by an old timer that your bike was ready to go when your cylander heads were warm to the touch

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Fast idle at the lowest possible rpm and then roll down the hill. It's a good 5min idle ride down to the flats from where I live. Enough time for the engine to warm up.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I start my bike by silently and stealthily coasting down the hill and putting the bike in third gear and jumping the Bitch to life every morning and then gunning it until I get to work.

ITs usually between 35 and 45 degrees in the mornings, so sometimes I have to really get going when I start coasting.

My flux capacitor fell off yesterday!! :-X

M

·
0 Posts
I start w/o the fast idle and wait till the temp reads anything besides low. It idles just fine in a short amount of time. If anyone of you enlightened riders out there can tell if the temperature matters at all or if its just the ability to maintain idle that counts? It would sure save me alot of time in the morning.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I need advice on this too. It is really hard to start my bike when it is cold in part because I can only crank it for like 5 seconds. I wish it didn't have the automatic starter on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The choke on your s4r doesn't work? I kind of like the automatic starter. Just hit the button and the bike does its own thing. But then again just about anything impresses me. My head is still spinning over the internet.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The choke works good once it is started. I noticed last fall that she was cold blooded though.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my bike wont start without the choke even in 85degree weather....

N

·
0 Posts
well in my very, very limited experience I found that my bike likes the high throttle not all the way up but about middle and I hit the button once and Vrooooooom

question when I pull up somewhere and put the stand down is the engine supposed to cut-off cuz sometimes it does other times it doesn't

I usually put it in nutral automatically when I stop to get off but maybe I just have it in gear or something so when I put the stand down the bike dies??...Ill have to try and notice

seems like a safety feature I just don't get??

·
Registered
73 Posts
question when I pull up somewhere and put the stand down is the engine supposed to cut-off cuz sometimes it does other times it doesn't
YES, the engine is supposed to cut when you put down the kickstand and YES it is a safety feature. It is not supposed to happen sometimes, it should be all the time.

Most people prefer to have their bike running even when the kickstand is down and install a kickstand bypass. The most popular is from Evoluzione.
http://evoluzione.net/vitem80023.htm

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts