Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member, just joined today. This is my first Ducati at the age of 68, and have prömised myself öne before I peg it. Hence the forum name "Cherry Popped"! And by way of an introduction to Ducati ownership, I am experiencing a problem with starting my Monster 1000 Dark i.e. Can anyone point me in the direction of the thread that addresses this subject please?

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - XT250
269 Posts
There could be many reasons as to why your bike does not start.

Not cranking at all? - Faulty neutral or side stand sensor. Try starting with side stand up and clutch in.
Cranking too slowly? - Battery, Starter Cable, Starter motor, Starter clutch
No spark? - Spark Plugs, Spark Leads, Ignition coil
No fuel? - Fuel Pump, Injectors
No compression?- Compression and leak down test

Most common issue is slow crank due to weak battery (replace with Lithium) and weak starting cable (replace with MotoElectric HiCap or ExactStart).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There could be many reasons as to why your bike does not start.

Not cranking at all? - Faulty neutral or side stand sensor. Try starting with side stand up and clutch in.
Cranking too slowly? - Battery, Starter Cable, Starter motor, Starter clutch
No spark? - Spark Plugs, Spark Leads, Ignition coil
No fuel? - Fuel Pump, Injectors
No compression?- Compression and leak down test

Most common issue is slow crank due to weak battery (replace with Lithium) and weak starting cable (replace with MotoElectric HiCap or ExactStart).
Thank you very much for your detailed reply, I really do appreciate it. And it has certainly given me some options to investigate. I'll get back to you when I've completed the list and hopefully solved the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome Cherry.
Post details of your problem, you will surely get good help here.
Thank you Monster4Lee, I will certainly do that. I've only had the bike for a few weeks so it loomis like I have a steep learning curve to climb. When it works it is a fabulous bike to ride and it appears to speak to you while you're on the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for your detailed reply, I really do appreciate it. And it has certainly given me some options to investigate. I'll get back to you when I've completed the list and hopefully solved the problem.
Good Morning LeFraussie, thanks again for the suggestions. I went through a process of elimination and the the bike now starts. The problem was side stand down and poor battery. Now a happy new owner thanks to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, after the short lived euphoria, thinking I had solved the starting problems, I am back on with the investigations as the following day, the bike once again would not start. So this time I checked and cleaned the the fuses, plug leads, plugs and relays. And now once again, the bike is behaving itself and starting. I think it was probably the starter relay because when I turned the ignition key to start the motor previously, there was no audible click from the relay. I then tried the age old method of tapping the relay with a screw driver, and sure enough the click was back and the bike started, and has continued to do so. So my question is, should I now invest in a new set of relays to eliminate the problem in future. Secondly, I have a strong smell of fuel which I'm sure should not be there, so what could that be due to, or is it nothing to worry about? Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - XT250
269 Posts
As you said in your previous post the "fun will begin"!

Changing relays is a no brainer if you suspect they are faulty. They are cheap.
I would also recommend cleaning the ground connection from battery to engine case using contact cleaner.

A weak battery can cause misfire. Did you just recharge your battery or replaced it?

On my Ducs I always fit lithium battery and upgrade the starting cables (look up HiCap MotoElectrics or ExactStart UK).

On some older Monster the voltage regulator is under the seat. If that's the case on yours you might want to relocate it somewhere with more airflow. Not related to your issues but could potentially prevent one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So önce again, thank you for your reply and recommendations. I will follow your instructions and get back to you with the results. And öne last question, am I asking my questions in the correct part of this forum. I would hate to continually bombard you with questions, because I am sure there will be more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts