Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't started the bike in a few weeks and last night decided to fire it up. All the lights come on with the ignition, but when I press the start button, it just clicks. It was clicking rapidly at first, then was clicking slower. It finally fired up for about three seconds and died. Anywhere I should start looking? Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Crazy...I was about to take off just 20 minutes ago and experienced the exact same issue with my Monster 750ie 2002. I rode the bike 1 week ago so I'm gonna go back to the garage extract the battery and charge it. We'll see from there if it's issue; I charged it few months ago but it's the stock battery so it's 7 yrs old...hope it's as simple as that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would assume yes, lights and electronics shouldn't require as much power as the starter does, that's just a guess though. Ok I'm charging the battery so I'll be able to try in a few hours. I don't know why all of a sudden something would fail on 1st start like that (relays, solenoid...). We seem to have the same background of letting the bike stands still for weeks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds like the battery for sure. When my bike is not in use I always keep it on a battery tender. With bike batteries being so small it dosent take to long to lose charge.

·
Registered
14 Posts
all right the bikes starts fine!

Now the battery has definitely run its course, I just noticed some white green build up on the negative lead/connector (corrosion...leak?) so I'm gonna shop around for a new one asap.

Sounds like you have the same battery issue, get a battery tender and charge it; maybe you should get a new one if yours is stock also.

·
Registered
663 Posts
You both might want to get a multi meter and check the battery while running to make sure it is charging.

I had same issue, voltage regulator took a crap on me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You both might want to get a multi meter and check the battery while running to make sure it is charging.

I had same issue, voltage regulator took a crap on me.
Interesting...what kind of value am I suppose to read/expect?
Is the voltage regulator that thing below the seat? It's stock and I don't know
if it's worth changing for now. Anyway I just ordered a Yuasa so that's one upgrade already.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Interesting...what kind of value am I suppose to read/expect?
Is the voltage regulator that thing below the seat? It's stock and I don't know
if it's worth changing for now. Anyway I just ordered a Yuasa so that's one upgrade already.
Yes, the VR is that square thing under the seat. It idle, I am getting 13.3, at 2,500 I am getting 14.6 to 14.8

If you are at 12.8 or below on a fully charged battery, you are just running on the battery, which will suck dry.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, it's running again! I let it trickle charge for a few hours and it started up with a little difficulty. It is low on fuel, so that probably didn't help any. I'll check the battery for the voltage next. I hope the VR isn't bad. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
663 Posts
so does that means the vr is necessarily faulty/failing?
Generall speaking, yes, it you aren't getting over 14.5 volts at 2,500 to VR is on the way out. OF course, it could be the stator too, but n 99.5% of the cases it is the VR.

I figure that if I can charge the batter up on a tender, and then unplug it, and it will hold that charge, the battery is OK, If I then fire the bike, but don't see the voltage increase, I have a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just received the Yuasa and charging it, will install tomorrow. Got a good deal @ $100 online.

Is there an aftermarket VR available?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tripod I have found that the best way to keep the battery fresh is to leave it hooked to the bike and on a battery tender. It keeps the battery fresh and if you want to ride all you have to do is unhook the tender and away you go.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts