Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

501 - 520 of 541 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #502
Two weeks worth of clothes, tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, air pillow, rain gear, misc stuff all in there...

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Looking forward to updates Charles. Be safe.

Should be close to you in the near future, Mayo Clinic off the 101. Don't know the schedule yet but maybe we could hook up.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #505
Trip Updates

Looking forward to updates Charles. Be safe.

Should be close to you in the near future, Mayo Clinic off the 101. Don't know the schedule yet but maybe we could hook up.
For sure - my office is just down the street on Mayo Blvd.

Pictures shall be posted of the trip!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Heading to Jackson, then you are coming close to my neck of the woods. Bring some warmer cloths for the nights, its starting to get chilly when the sun goes down. Enjoy the trip, I am planning a ride to Yellowstone at the end next month, its to bad our dates dont line up.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #508
Hey yeah - that would have been cool if we overlapped.

Heading to Jackson, then you are coming close to my neck of the woods. Bring some warmer cloths for the nights, its starting to get chilly when the sun goes down. Enjoy the trip, I am planning a ride to Yellowstone at the end next month, its to bad our dates dont line up.
Maybe next time...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #509
So - as luck would have it - during my test run last night I dropped a kickstand bolt. When I parked, the kickstand shifted and slightly dinged the alternator cover on the underside. Result was an oil leak that wouldn't stop even with some stainless bolts and pretty tight torque.

Better while at home than on the road, but I had just changed the oil - $50. Drained oil, and pulled the alternator cover, didn't look too bad - maybe 1/32 ding in the mating surface. So I got some Permatex Ultra Grey and regasketed. Finished that job at 2:30pm today, and instructions say to let it cure for 24 hours - ok fine I have to wait. But then I sure as hell hope it holds up, because if it doesn't then a new / used cover is going to be necessary I guess - which is not easy to find at the moment, and could strand me for a week even if I find one.

So, now I'm going to refill the oil tomorrow afternoon and ride locally then look at the space after letting it sit over night until Sunday to see if there's any weeping from the hot spot. It's probably in the worst place possible, because it's right at the bottom and retaining oil all the time.

Any one with experience in this sort of thing?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If you need it for the trip, I'll pull the one off the 1KDS and ship it to you. Still haven't stuffed it into the 620.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #512
Thanks Bob!

Never mind, I just remembered you're running an 1100evo.
I really appreciate the offer. Very very cool.

I am happy to report that after 450 miles today, not even a drop of oil leaked.

Some misfires, so disconnected the pcv and smooth.

Tired, sleep, more later...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #513
Today was a planned day off the road and did some jet boating on the Colorado River - whoa... Chevy 383 stroker in lightweight hull - fun times...

I remembered that I was trying out a 40 gap on my plugs and decided that perhaps going back to 35 would help with the misfires (duh), so I did that and things are running even better. My brother Moab-style gapping...

Now I realized that the crankcase breather is spitting oil - some to the back tire - ugh. The CNC Racing one I have is reedless- didn't realize that when I ordered it, but haven't had issue with it until now. Going to stop by O'Reilly and get a couple feet of hose to replace the six inches I have (joke here) and see if that helps. Maybe route it forward up around the pods as it'd have to be crazy to get oil that far - I think. Any suggestions? I dot have the mental energy to read all the crankcase breather threads tonight:)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #514
Changed the oil breather pipe for a longer one and bike ran great today - for about 150 miles - then the chain broke about ten miles outside Price, UT. Good thing that I brought my eccentric wrench. Bad that it's a Mormon holiday and the two moto shops were closed. Then a guy named Bill who saw me pushing my bike back to the gas station went home on his bike and got his motorcycle trailer and brought me and my bike to a hotel right by the moto store so I'd be ready to get on it tomorrow. He said, 'Can't leave a brother rider stuck'. What an absolutely cool thing to do - Thanks Bill.

Thing is that I brought my bike with a new chain to a shop just before I left and the guy said my chain was absolutely fine. But it could be that I had it a bit too tight, I checked it this morning and loaded a new helping of chain paste on it too - seemed fine. Oh well, roll with it...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #516
Got back on the road yesterday- just put in a new master link - being paranoid I inspected is regressed, reset tension, then had a local ATV shop look it over and finally dropped into an SLC Ducati dealership to check it again. It's good. Canyon riding today!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #517
Beautiful high speed sweeping curves up Parleys Canyon (SLC -> Park City UT) today with a buddy from high school who I haven't seen in like 30 years.

I'm in the middle and Hyper-Hooligan Ken is on the left. Bike is running perfectly now. Wish I had clip ons though, would be even better in the curves, but I'd suffer on the highway. Probably go to clips with a 1.5 rise for regular home riding... Let's see.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #518
The ride from SLC to Jackson was a top 5 for me. Went through Logan Canyon, up Bear Lake, through Montpilier and up - HWY 89 most of the way. Highly recommended - long sweepers, nice roads, not much traffic.

Big smile after ripping up Logan Canyon...

Waiting to get past road construction at the start of Montpilier Canyon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Beautiful high speed sweeping curves up Parleys Canyon (SLC -> Park City UT) today with a buddy from high school who I haven't seen in like 30 years.

I'm in the middle and Hyper-Hooligan Ken is on the left. Bike is running perfectly now. Wish I had clip ons though, would be even better in the curves, but I'd suffer on the highway. Probably go to clips with a 1.5 rise for regular home riding... Let's see.

I have 3 inch rise clip ons, and I love them because with a twist of a 5mm allen I can move them up and down as needed for the ride I am on.

On another note, I have a 620 Dark that I want to put a 1100S engine in. I have already swapped in an S2R swingarm, and have about a million dollars in billet Speedymoto, DP, Cyclecat, and Ducabike farkles on it, so no, I won't be selling it and buying another bike. The motor is getting tired, and the clutch is starting to slip for the 29th time, so I figure this winter will be it.

Besides, built always beats bought, right??

Anyway, I have read about your several iterations of the bike. With your current experience, How would you go about putting that motor in now? Swap in the 848 timing gear, keep the 800 harness (same as mine) and just flash the ecu with GuzziDiag? Is it really that simple?

Thanks for helping expand the knowledge that is out there and for not being afraid to jump in with both feet.

501 - 520 of 541 Posts