Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

481 - 500 of 541 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #481
Exchange Rate

All that stuff is definitely the path to success for these motors.
I looked at thise Kaemna cams, was considering their sport grind, however, the exchange rate on € to canadian in like 2 to1 ish. That makes €660 cams $1300+ canadian and thats without ahipping, import duties and taxes. So.... not viable for me. I got evo cams myself because thats in my engine budget. If I end up splitting the cases i might lighten/knife edge/balance the crank and some lighter rods. Apparently good bang for the buck. My local Duc shop is saying that upgrading the main bearings to aircraft quality will make a HUGE benefit to the ability to freely spin up.
I do have the benefit of a much better exchange rate. For me the cams will about 700 USD - so they're actually cheaper than a set of used evo's.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Id definitely go witht he Kaemna sports over the evos if available at the same price

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
Camshafts

Id definitely go witht he Kaemna sports over the evos if available at the same price
I'm thinking the sport ones since I don't race, and low-mid torque is more important to me that WOT. Also, I'm planning to keep it to just the p&p + cams for a while. After that, I'm going back to focusing on dropping more weight.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm thinking the sport ones since I don't race, and low-mid torque is more important to me that WOT. Also, I'm planning to keep it to just the p&p + cams for a while. After that, I'm going back to focusing on dropping more weight.

Exactly my thoughts!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #485
Throttle Bodies

Exactly my thoughts!
Hey - have you ever looked into the 50mm TB's rather than what we have (43mm)?

Kaemna has them for 700 EUR, but S4Rs and 748's also do. I guess it's about continuing the improved inflow of air, but wonder how much of a difference it makes. Probably more the more that an engine is tuned.

Was kind of considering seeing whether I can put together a used set of S4Rs or 748 TB's to fit the DS1/1.1k engine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have never really seen anyone do 4valver tbs before. Thats an interesting idea. Maxbore does very good throttle body boring and provides new plates. I used them for honda projects in the past.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
TB's

I have never really seen anyone do 4valver tbs before. Thats an interesting idea. Maxbore does very good throttle body boring and provides new plates. I used them for honda projects in the past.
After a bit more reading, it appears that the 1100 came with 45mm TB's. These can be had used for ~100 USD, so I'll probably go that route and be done with it.

That said, I've got parts from 748, 848, 749, 999, 1098, S4R, S2R 800 & 1000, and M1100s in my bike and I'm always looking to diversify :)

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
TB's

I had to read that twice, and in looking online I think the 54 is a typo. I do believe that 45 is right. I'm using a 43 now from my s2r 800, but I have one from an s2r1k in the closet. Just need to remove the stepper motor and vacuum cap the inputs, and I should be sorted I guess...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
While I'm saving up for the more expensive stuff, I'm going to clean up some of the crappy wiring that I've done in the past. No matter how long I avoid it, it's going to be there until I fix it. So, I need to learn up on the connectors and how to properly set them up - no more inline connections if at all possible.

I'll google it to death, but any advice about - what crimper, tape, wire connection kits (see photos for a couple that I need), any advice is appreciated. This is going to suck, but now I'm going to own it...

I'll start with the extensions to handle bar controls, and move from there with a focus on reducing the wiring where possible, but not so much that I have trouble refitting. FYI an S2R800 main wiring harness weights 4lbs 1oz.

If I do a good job on this then maybe I'll buy a Motogadget M-unti, but I'm going to clean everything up and make sure it all works the right way first.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Looks like some wiring fun

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #493
Wiring

Looks like some wiring fun
Yeah - it's going to be a lot of sweat, but maybe I'll end up with a really clean setup... let's see.

In order to make it somewhat fun, I'll probably get some motogadget stuff, but the competition for my upgrade $ is high these days.

Since I'm going on a 2500 mile tour in about three weeks, I ordered a Sarget World Perf seat that should be here Thursday. Really wondering how that compares to the stocker weight-wise.

Current thinking
1. Port & Polish, Cams, Pistal Drop-ins, and individual cylinder Dyno - probably worth 15hp at least

1.5 BrakeTech Axis Iron front rotors.

2. Lusting over the idea of a polished aluminum tank clear coated with some cool black retro decals. Checking on availability of the one from MotoWheels now.

3. Mag swingarm - but that's going to need some frame work and possibly a new shock since the mount is different on the newer Monsters. Could be a cool thing to get rid of the ride height adjuster and associated parts - cleaner, lighter, more rigid.

4. New frame is currently off the list as the aluminum one I liked is no longer made. I'll probably strip the frame down at some point late summer, clean all the extra tab leftovers and paint/PC it. Perhaps in combination with the swingarm/shock situation as that'd be the right time to do that work. I have to figure out the shock angle, spring rate, eye-to-eye measurement and it's a BIG gamble as to how it'd turn out. Getting that wrong could end in disaster.

Was thinking about how the S4R has one less cross beam in its frame and more power - so I wonder if that beam is even needed - judging from the beer tray weight, it could be 4lbs of weight loss to cut that out. I could get a good welder to do that and patch it for probably less than $35 if the frame was out of the bike... BIG job...

5. Motogadget Loom Project - lot's of work, might just add a few of their features and take this one over a year or two in pieces. I like the idea of the RFID start to remove the key barrel - at least a couple lbs in there. Also like the idea of the M-Unit to remove all old-school fuses.

6. More Carbon Fiber - headlight bucket, front fender, side panels, cowl.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Something I am trying to figure out is how to get a PC5 and dual probe auto tune module to work on the older marelli ignitions. There is apparently 1 of the 1100 2v motors that still ran marellu, all the rest are siemens and mitsubishi. I think that figuring that out would have some long term benefits.

You mentioned the frame difference between the s2r and s4r. IIRC, the 4v monster frames have a more rigid bigger diameter tubing thus eliminating the need for the cross bracing. See if you can find one and take some measurements before chopping your frame. Just one of those things lingering aroind in the back of my brain...haha

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
Pcv

Something I am trying to figure out is how to get a PC5 and dual probe auto tune module to work on the older marelli ignitions. There is apparently 1 of the 1100 2v motors that still ran marellu, all the rest are siemens and mitsubishi. I think that figuring that out would have some long term benefits.

You mentioned the frame difference between the s2r and s4r. IIRC, the 4v monster frames have a more rigid bigger diameter tubing thus eliminating the need for the cross bracing. See if you can find one and take some measurements before chopping your frame. Just one of those things lingering aroind in the back of my brain...haha
I tried the PCV AT-300 with my setup. It didn't work well at all. My 1100 was originally a Siemens ECU driven model, but Rexxer reprogrammed my Marelli ECU and combined with a different timing gear (from an 848) that was not the issue, I think. I think the issue for me was trying to use a stepper motor in the setup too - as documented. But besides that, I've read about A LOT of troubleshooting issues and I just didn't feel like continuing with it. I was also told by a Ducati tech that I really trust that the AT was too slow to run real-time. So, instead of having the extra stuff I just paid for a tune on my PCV. Ideally, I wouldn't even use that, but there are so few shops that can setup an ECU the right way with a dynometer on hand. That means you end up trying on a dyno, sending details or even the ECU, waiting, loading, repeating. So, my conclusion was get the ECU reasonably close (which Rexxer really did - just look at the results from a previous post - they were nearly spot on) then pay someone with a PC Dynometer to fine tune.

Frame-wise, after further thought, I'm not going to chop anything out of it - just too risky for a smallish potential gain. Maybe if I win the lottery I'll slap a Ti frame on there :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #496
Had a nice 300 mile ride today to make sure that all my changes are holding together the right way - and for fun.

Phoenix -> Prescott -> Jerome -> Sedona -> Flagstaff -> Phoenix.

Bike ran beautifully, just a little stalling until it gets up to temp. The dash temp gauge doesn't work at all - I relocated it to the Hyper oil cooler and used the stock thermistor, but no reading at all... not sure what gives there. Also tried connecting the dash to the vertical cylinder thermistor that comes in the 1100 motor, no reading there at all either. I also have a slight bit of signal to the cluster information lights - gas, signal, oil pressure, brights - when one is really supposed to be on it the gets a lot brighter. Seemed to start when I did my tail chop, but I've rewired that a few times with no real luck and I'm wondering if there's an issue with the cluster connection - there's nothing obvious, but I've disconnected it a few hundred times during the build, so who knows. Haven't found any issues with the multi-meter, but I'm no expert.

Any ideas are welcome :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #497
Thrilled that I just scored an Arrow Ti Steering Damper off eBay. I probably outbid one of you guys - ha.

Have to probably add 20mm of spacers in order to accommodate the AEM Factory triple risers, but we'll see. Pictures coming in a week or so. I also may switch to clip ons - thinking woodcraft with some rise, but no idea how much yet - don't want to create a torture device...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #498
Arrived today - so sweet looking. I've wanted one of these from the start of my build, but since they're not made anymore I had to get lucky, and I did...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #500
Heading out on tour Saturday- here's a photo nearly ready to roll. Waiting on some frame sliders to double as highway pegs:)

From Phoenix to Jackson Hole through the Rockies. Lots of canyon riding in my near future. ~2300 miles total.

481 - 500 of 541 Posts