Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

321 - 340 of 541 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd be interested to see more photos and hear reviews of the ST screen since I might be getting one for a 3000 mile trip this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
I'd be interested to see more photos and hear reviews of the ST screen since I might be getting one for a 3000 mile trip this year.

I'll get some more pictures up soon, but can say that it's a HUGE difference when going over 55mph. Makes riding on the freeway a lot more fun and comfortable. PM me for where I bought mine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'll get some more pictures up soon, but can say that it's a HUGE difference when going over 55mph. Makes riding on the freeway a lot more fun and comfortable. PM me for where I bought mine.
Thanks.

How tall are you? Where does the wind hit you?

·
Registered
116 Posts
6' - upper shoulders - no longer middle of the chest.
Hmm. I don't know if hitting shoulders would be better than chest. Surprised it doesn't hit your helmet or neck.

I don't feel much turbulence at all until 60mph+

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
To add to my last response...

Air on my shoulders (even less that without) is much better than in my chest (at least for me), because it flows over the sides rather than being trapped as much from my body with my arms obviously forward holding the grips. So I think that's better.

Regarding the helmet - you get that either way, but if you mean having more as a result of the screen, I don't notice a difference. I have an Arai Corsair V which is great in the wind though - I noticed a big difference from what I was using before.

It all comes down to personal preference, but if I were riding 3k miles I'd probably really appreciate having one. One more thing is that if you tuck the wind is pretty much completely taken by the screen which is nice.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
Removed the db killers. The process was pretty simple so long as you tap the very small tap weld that stops the circlips from being removed. A bit louder - more low end sound, but the sound is not the reason to do it. Prior to removal when a twisted the throttle at around 3.5k the engine bogged a little - it felt to me like the pod filters were throwing more air in than the engine could handle - but I might be waaay off on that. Anyway, after removal the throttle was far more responsive. And the kicker was that it removed 1lb from the weight of my bike.

Tonight, I updated the map on the PCIII to the following, which is as close as there is without a custom map.

2005 Ducati Monster S2R 800cc European model, Arrow full RACING Exhaust (cat. removed), Ferracci Stage 2 airbox conversion kit, Stock ECU.

I haven't ridden with the new map yet, so I'll provide a write up of my experience with it tomorrow (likely). I'm just trying to get by with the map for now, as I know a custom map is likely to be a lot better.

Why am I trying to get by? Because next Feb, I'll be buying an 1100 EVO engine to create an S2R 1100 EVO out of. I've been thinking of the DS 1000, but for about a grand more I can get an engine that's probably 7 years newer, a lot fewer miles, has a slipper clutch, more torque, already supports single spark, and weights more than ten lbs. less.

After that I'll be really close to 300lbs and 100HP, which is my current target.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Tried out the new map today - runs much better... no downshifting and slowing blips, throttle more responsive. I can live with this setup for a few months no problem :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
New Tank!!

I bought a dented older steel tank a while back. Got it nickel coated, dents fixed, painted, new fuel filter, new stickers...

Installed, except for gas cap receiver issue in another thread.

Here's a picture

http://s927.photobucket.com/user/Charles_Hoppensteadt/media/2006 Ducati Monster S2R 800 Dark/E81014DC-8BFE-4A9C-BE1A-3B8FD8F28966_zps83rhlbdk.jpg.html

There's now No More Bloated tank even if it cost me a few pounds. Ended up costing a lot more than I expected, but now it's done - so there it is...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I bought a dented older steel tank a while back. Got it nickel coated, dents fixed, painted, new fuel filter, new stickers...

There's now No More Bloated tank even if it cost me a few pounds. Ended up costing a lot more than I expected, but now it's done - so there it is...
money well spent - looks awesome.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
More titanium...

Replaced the bottom bolts that hold the rearsets to the engine w titanium

Replaced non-special screw kickstand bolt w titanium

Replaced foot peg screws w titanium.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Replaced brake caliper pinch bolts with Titanium on front and back.

Took out the RR relocator and made a new one out of a piece of 3/4" aluminum bar - lighter.

Cut off some tabs from the frame using an angle grinder.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
S2R 803 Not starting
Needing some help here...

I changed my tank to an older model steel tank and my bike won't start now. Here's the info

It chugs, but won't fire.

Replaced the fuel filter - checked all hoses
All fuses are good
I can hear the fuel pump start up and cycle
I have a little more than .5 gallons in the tank
There is gas coming through the lines from the tank - confirmed, by removing the hoses to the tank (I had them backwards at first)

What else should I check?

TIA.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
Fuel Pump

Replaced the fuel pump with one that I know works. Same symptoms.

Has me feeling like this is a short circuit somewhere - there is a little bit of exposure on the hot wire coming into the tank from the bottom - I assumed that's ok - anyway the gas is getting to the engine - ugh...

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I "think" the plastic tanked Monsters have the fuel pressure regulator in the pump plate. Did you relocate it to the TB's when you did the swap?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
Fuel Pressure Regulator

I "think" the plastic tanked Monsters have the fuel pressure regulator in the pump plate. Did you relocate it to the TB's when you did the swap?
That was the problem. I figured it out last night, but relocating the existing one took some grinding, adhesive fuel resistant sealer, a couple zip ties, and the ground off end of the old fuel filter. It's a total McGuyver job, but I think it'll hold until I find a replacement for less than $150 for the original part.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I'll try to shoot a few images of mine. It mounts below/between the TB's. There is a bracket that holds the FPR housing that's NLA from Ducati. Your best bet would be eBay. Should be able to score a set of TB's for $75 or so and rob the parts you need.

321 - 340 of 541 Posts