Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

261 - 280 of 541 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Yeah - I know, I'm so excited. And the stripping was only $30, couldn't believe it. Next I have to find the same level of work at that price for the metal repair...

Also, I have to decide on decals, and look for the tank. I sort of like the idea of nickel plating it and then clear coating it with the raw nickel look and some old school Ducati tank stickers. What do you think would be cool?

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
You have ran with the all black theme so other than black I have no suggestions.

I have seen Ducati's with the stripe on the tank running from side to side not end to end. Was it the Imola scheme? Might look a little different if the color was subdued.

tt

·
Super Moderator
617 Posts
Doin' it right fch. Very nice.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Did it the way you suggested, and it worked just right - THANK YOU!

Trying to do some home anodizing today on the kickstand - I'll post some pictures later if it works out all right. It didn't last night, but I think my acid mix hadn't yet dissolved enough.
You're welcome. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless they changed to aluminum for the sidestand on the S*R series you're outa luck an anodizing it. Anodizing is an aluminum process and won't work on ferrous metals.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Aluminum

You're welcome. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless they changed to aluminum for the sidestand on the S*R series you're outa luck an anodizing it. Anodizing is an aluminum process and won't work on ferrous metals.
They did change to aluminum. I'm pretty well aware of what anodizing is after reading the 100 or so articles that I did before trying it :) I think the problem was with the stripping & etching process I used - Drano in Water.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Today I received my new to me 848 Showa rear shock. Even though the swingarm is off the bike at the moment, I'm sure it'll fit. It's .4 inches shorter eye-2-eye, but I'll adjust the ride height to accommodate the difference and see how it rides. A side note is that it feels a bit lighter - guessing between a .5 to 1 lbs.

I also received my new to me 999S front calipers - P4 34/34 that I bought from Imperial SB. They mounted up nicely, but it's time to get new lines too since now my MC's and Calipers have the wrong banjo bend in them. So, I ordered a two line set of Galfer's for a 1098 since that matches on both ends - hopefully they'll be the right length. Galfer said they have a policy about not telling the length of their lines - must be intellectual property to them ???

Should have the swingarm, kickstand, kickstand mount plate, and U mount back from Powder Coating Friday this week, and then I can start reassembling things.

This is turning into quite the franken-bike...

1098 Master Cylinders
999 Front Calipers
748 Forks
848 Rear Shock

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Also - installed the TPO Parts titanium engine studs last night - very nice looking parts, too bad I won't see them again until I change the motor. Didn't save a whole lot of weight, but I slept well last night just knowing that they are in there!

Installation was pretty easy - the stock studs are just long bolts with a nut at the end (right side facing forward), whereas the TPO parts are a long bolt with a washer and nut at each end. The 12mm diameter was the same between the two even though I read that a few bikes needed to be drilled to manage this. To get them in, I removed the nuts on the OEM studs, then greased the new parts and slowly tapped them in with a rubber mallet until they were clearly aligned. The important part was when it got near to the point where the OEM stud left the frame, I gave a pretty good whack to get the new one in there before the engine could shift at all and make alignment a little more difficult. I had the engine on a floor jack and a ladder sling holding the frame in place so that there was never a chance of a big slip apart.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Were the originals bolts or studs? The reason I ask is everything I had read said the problems with breakage was with the "bolts" which were supposedly discontinued sometime around 2000. Mine had bolts so off they came. You're right, no big weight savings but no corrosion and worries about one snapping, so money well spent in my book.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Weight watchers...

OEM Swingarm Pivot - 19 oz
TPO Parts Titanium Swingarm Pivot - 11.3 oz

About half a pound... OEM End bolts are .1 oz lighter than titanium, but likely a lot weaker and certainly not as cool looking.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
Weight Watchers part II

Replacing the rear sprocket setup from OEM with aluminum bolts to CNC Racing flange, AFAM Superlite Carrier, Sprocket and cush drives dropped the weight of that component from 4.2 lbs to 2.1 lbs - that is cheap for the amount of rotating weight lost.

Now that I have a digital kitchen scale, I'll start weighing different things and post them as I couldn't find any before and after weights to decide whether changes are worthwhile or just for a good feeling. Maybe after a bit I'll create a Google Sheet and share it so that we can create an S model weight bible.

·
Super Moderator
617 Posts
Cool thread. No substitute for weight drop. I've dropped 29.96 lbs. off my '04 M1000S including 5.31 lbs. of rotating weight.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I put together an Excel spreadsheet for my 620. Can't figure out how to post it here but if you want it shoot me a PM with an email addy and I'll send you and unprotected copy. You can just input your data.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
Just pulled an measured 36 bolts on my moto, then went to Pro-Bolt and added to basket. All non load bearing bolts in aluminum, all critical bolts in Ti. $287 bucks. I'll weight the delivery as a batch, and then weigh everything I pull out as a batch to see how much weight I'm lost. I'm expecting to be at least 50lbs light than when I started by the time I get this stuff done - maybe even 60lbs.

To get to 300, I think CF tank and Ti frame will be necessary... either that or doing something stupid.

Also, I'm guessing the loom is full of extra metal that's not used, but rewiring is down the road...

261 - 280 of 541 Posts