Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sorry for my bad english, it's not my first langage.

I have problem when starting my 2014 monster 1200 S.

Never at cold start but maybe every 5 to 10 warm start. The problem seems to happen more often Day after Day.

The starting process start normally for 1/2 secondes (starter and fly wheel spinning) and then a nasty mettalic noise happen and the starter stop. My impression (i'm no mechanic) is that something spinning get violently stuck.

The second start is always OK, i Never had the issue twice in a row. The second start seems sometimes a little "weak" but the bike always start.

The bike stays still (not moving forward) when this happen so i'm guessing it's no gearbox related.

The bike ride very fine when started, smooth ride, smooth motor, nothing wrong.

Any idea please ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Your battery might not have the amperage needed to crank the motor on the first try. Have your battery tested. The valves may also be out of spec, when did you last have them checked? Your English is just fine by the way

·
Registered
770 Posts
If the battery checks good on a LOAD TEST, ( not just check voltage) then it is probably the starter sprag going bad. If you are mechanically talented, you can replace it. If not you will need to take it to mechanic. Verify good battery first though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts