Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my stock 98 m900 suddenly dies if i turn the bars to the left and won't restart with the bars turned left, obviously a short, anyone seen this?

M

·
0 Posts
check the wiring bundle on the right side of the steering stem... i lot of folks have had issues with this and have noted it over the years on the dml. i haven't had issue with this yet but i've noticed where the wiring harness has rubbed the paint off the frame near the steering stem... so i'm guessing that eventually that'll rub through the insulation also once the paint is gone. i noticed this when i removed the hideous wire ties all over the frame so i also moved the harness and secured it so it wouldn't rub.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked hi and lo around the steering neck, unplugged and re-plugged any connection and pulled the relay, cleaned the contacts and re-installed it and now I get no start in the center steer position as well, next will be remove the instrument cluster and headlight for better access to the wiring and try a new relay, no sign of any wires fraying only my patience. :(

S

·
0 Posts
This is the same issue I have but my headlight goes out. Turned out to be a bad ground wire on the main harness, but I am having a *$#@ of a time finding the bastard. I have a feeling that the wire is broken some place near the head tube. This could be the same issue but different wire. If it is broken it could be acting like the kill switch is open keeping the bike from starting. Thats my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:)
I determined that the problem was in the wiring harness marked "C" which runs from the starter button to a junction behind the headlight on the right side. I popped all the ties along the frame before it joins a larger loom nearly under the tank. I found one really kinked spot on the "C" loom and after squezzeing it at the kink the starter wouldn't work at all. Using an exacto knife I scored the loom near the kink and found a broken red/black striped wire and after joining it I' m running again. They should have used spaghetti for wiring instead of vermicelli. B :)etter guage better strength.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts