Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The starter relay on my wife's 620ie went bad several weeks ago. I just did a search in this forum and I see that a lot of people have experienced the same problem.

Our dealer has had the bike for two weeks now due to the fact they don't have a relay in stock. They have told us that it is on "special order" and can not tell us when it will come in. Their only response is that it could be two days or two months.

Does anybody here know a source where we can order one ourselves and get it quickly? Are there any companies making replacement relays that are more reliable?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Brian- get your bike back from them first off. My relay is "funky" in that it works most of the time, but I do have times where it will just keep going and going. Just turn the key off and try again. Usually it fires up on the second or third time. Dont leave your bike with those clowns and waste valuable riding time. I havent actually looked at it but I bet you could get the relay about anywhere. Take it off and go to the local hardware store. I may be off base on this one, but that is what I would do. Besides I remember reading on a thread about the relay that someone would just put the bike in 2nd and pop the clutch....

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was told that I popped a relay. My Computer went bad. It took almost a month until I got it back. What happened to your bike? The electronics proof out and go through the light show for you when you turn the key? Then nothing happens when you press the starter button?

That's what happened to my 2002 M750D after I only had 317miles on the clock. Turned out to be the ECU...not a relay. Ducati customer service is a real treat too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feed back guys. I'm pretty confident that it is the starter relay. You can shut off the key, hit the kill switch, pull all of the fuses, disconnect the starter switch and the starter still runs. The only way it stops is when you disconnect the battery. Hook the battery back up and the starter kicks in instantly.

Of course this all had to occur 40 miles from home on a Sunday :-(

I think we will give the dealer another week to get the part and then if they don't we'll order one of those Yamaha relays from Chris. I have the skills to take care of this myself but due to the fact that it is under warranty I really want the dealership to take care of it. I'm concerned about damage to the starter due to the fact it ran about 3 minutes before I could get the battery disconnected. Thank goodness I was on my bike that has a real tool kit. The one that comes with the Duc is a joke.

Thanks again for the info...

Ride Safe,
Brian

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Check with Chris at California Cycleworks:
http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/elec.html
It looks like that starter relay will work.
pongo likes that Yammie starter relay. i like that it's cheap and that i didn't have to go to one of them dealer places.

BUT the local dealer is starting to win my heart over... they always seem to come through with the oddball used parts for pongo. first it was the alternator cover... now it's a set of 900ss heads with properly sized valves!!! ;D

T

·
0 Posts
When my starter relay died I had my starter motor spinning for 10 minutes or so while I was riding. No damage done. Replaced the relay and it has worked fine. Hopefully your starter is also unharmed.

M

·
0 Posts
My dealer in Phoenix either had it in stock or got it in couple days. Mine did the run till turn off the key deal. Yours must be the selonoid?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
For guys that have had the starter keep spinning, and those who will someday: If all monsters are similar, follow the positive battery cable down to a big plug that has two connecters plugged in to the bottom. One should be the big thick cable leading to the relay and the other has two small wires. This plug on the M900s is below the battery tray and easily accessible to press in on the latch and unplug the cable to the relay from the battery quickly. A good safety feature that I've not seen in any manuals.

Mark J

·
0 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2003 800 dark. I turn they key and nothing starts. Dealer had it for about a week now so I'm waiting.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
If I had to wait so long for a part, I think I'd rather have my bike in MY garage and they can call me when the part comes in. At least I could sit on it, or think of mods I could do, or clean it, all those little nooks and crannies you never have time for ??????

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good news guys.... the Monster is back in the garage. The dealer finally called yesterday and said it was ready to go. I guess it just took me complaining here on the board :) It was the starter relay and there was no apparent damage to the starter.

Ride Safe,
Brian

·
0 Posts
My bike is still at the shop. They took dread all apart and still don't know what's going on. When I called to check on the bike the phone cat told me that Ducati had called in today so maybe something will come about. I'll keep you guys posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts