Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone replaced their starter? how difficult is the removal and replacement? anything i should do while i have the side open? can an automotive starter/alternator shop rebuild it or do i have to buy a $550 new one from the dealer? any info or tips would be greatly appreciated!!!
cheers,
Brian

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
The good news is yes , any auto electric shop that can rebuild import starters can rebuild your Duc starter.

More good news is that Chris at ca-cycleworks just posted somewhere that he has a quantity of left side cover gaskets (usually unavailable from most dealers). I think it's the "No More Slime" thread. The bad news is the shop is closed for the holidays, but you can send in orders to wait for his return.

Do you have a Haynes manual to guide you? Even if you have a post-96 model, the internals are pretty much the same on the 6XX, 750, 900 models and the manual is a great reference.

Check the flywheel nut and inspect the wires from the alternator for signs of insulation trying to melt while you are inside the cover.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
actually, i'm packing tomorrow's orders up tonight, so there's about 3 hours left... :) then, it's hasta la vista until we're back in town. :) :)

the real question is: is the starter really bad? :)

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Chris,

What do you think, is it likely you'll do a run of right side gaskets too?

TIA

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pretty sure it is the starter... new battery and cleaned all connections, still not turning over, just building electricity (enought to melt sheaths on wires!). Even when i run straight power to the starter and a ground from a deep cycle boat batter fully charged, no start. it has seen 45K and I think that is a fair life for a starter... now i just hope chris can get me on the short list for a left side cover!!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had my starter rebuilt at a local auto electronics shop for about $30. Gotta tell you, though, that putting that thing back together while the main shaft was still attached to the motor was probably the worst thing I've ever done. Seriously.
Dion

·
Registered
584 Posts
The fact you're trying to slide a cylinder full of huge magnets over a metal shaft and it only lines up one way, meanwhile trying to hold the brushes on the cap back so they slide over the shaft correctly. Huge PITA.

If I had it to do over -- which I hope I never do -- I'd completely remove the starter via the left side engine cover and assemble on a workbench.
Dion

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
The fact you're trying to slide a cylinder full of huge magnets over a metal shaft and it only lines up one way, meanwhile trying to hold the brushes on the cap back so they slide over the shaft correctly. Huge PITA.

If I had it to do over -- which I hope I never do -- I'd completely remove the starter via the left side engine cover and assemble on a workbench.
Dion
Yes. Have electronics shop do it all as a unit. Remove Alternator cover, unbolt starter as whole from bike, and then have them rebuild. No PITA then. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts