Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Need some help... I have a 1999 750. The battery didn't have the juice to turn it over. After a re-charge, I reconnected the battery and the starter motor started... even with the key in the off position. Someone told me that low current could cause the starter selonoid to stick. So I got a new battery. The problem seem to go away until last night. After a ride, I turned the key to the off position and the starter started cranking again... If I turn the key to the on position it starts and runs fine. Turn the key off or hit the kill switch anf the starter cranked away?? The only thing that stopped it was disconnecting the battery cable. Anyone have some advice?
Thanks

M

·
0 Posts
You've run into a common Monster malady. Howie is right, as has been posted before, it's probably your starter solenoid. Check an earlier thread on this topic and you'll find one guy who installed a solenoid from a [email protected] and never had another problem. Just thought it was worth considering.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Yeah, the solenoids are electrically similar to many many brands. I sell one that's intended for a Yamahahaha buy you have to cut the connector off your wiring harness to fit it. If your bike is still under warranty, it's probably better to get your dealer to replace it than fuss with cutting wires and the DIY approach.

Good luck, and keep on top of this, as stuck solenoid can overheat battery, cause it to bulge (or worse) and also possibly even start a fire.

:) Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a long day of wrenchin I ended up replacing the starter relay. Although it tested ok on the bench. The switch checked out ok, and the kill switch checked ok. The new starter relay worked like a charm.

Thanks for the advice
AZGuy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts