Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Looking to see if anyone has encountered the same problem...

I have an 07 s4r monster, just bought it 3 wks ago, today it stalled twice as i was accelerating from a stop. i pulled in the clutch and it started and ran like normal. looking for some feedback so when i take it back to the dealership i have some kind of ammo!!!

thanks,

·
Registered
99 Posts
did u ever figure this problem out? I'm having a similar issue

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Hello,

Looking to see if anyone has encountered the same problem...

I have an 07 s4r monster, just bought it 3 wks ago, today it stalled twice as i was accelerating from a stop. i pulled in the clutch and it started and ran like normal. looking for some feedback so when i take it back to the dealership i have some kind of ammo!!!

thanks,
Same here. 2007 S4Rs. Mine will do this under two conditions:
1) long idle, like a long red light. If you do not "clear her throat", it will stall. Annoying for a super Duc like this but I am learning to live with it. More shortly.
2) hard deceleration. If you brake hard from high rev, downshifting all the way to 1st and then reopen the throttle, it will stall 80% of the times.

I have heard theories on why this happens and they have to do with the gasoline here in California and the fact that our bikes here are forced to run lean-er than they were designed to. That makes sense. But I think this has to do with racing inspired design of the intake manifolds more than the gasoline itself. Incidentally, this will happen on the first gen 1098 too but that turned out to be an even worst problem due to the more aggressive cam design that would move even more air. But I digress. The intakes manifold in the Testastretta are pretty long to increase torque and they are pretty wide to allow plenty of breathing. I suspect that the long idle and the hard downshift create the same condition where the intake manifold are "vacuumed" clean of the mist of gasoline and air that would normally fill them at high revs. So when we open the throttle abruptly, the engine gets a mouth full of a rich mixture that kills the engine. I bet that S4R with racing airbox and full Termignoni pipes do not have this problem becouse they can breathe better...
Just a theory.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have an 07' S4RT and before I hit the 600 mile mark this issue happened to me 2 or 3 times... At the moment of the stall I attributed the occurrence to a slightly over heated roll... 225degrees in 80% humidity rolling in first at less then 5mph... Now, since that night she hasn't hiccuped once... AND I am about to open up her breathing and exhaust... sooooo, I have no idea what had happened but I'm happy it isn't happening anymore... furthermore, I've witnessed this same issue on much older monsters 02' Senna 750.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've got stock ECU and airbox..

only termi's and cat elimators on mine..

it backfires on deccel and smells rich.. even my clothes smell later..

ppl say they run lean.. but I coulda swore otherwise..

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've got stock ECU and airbox..
only termi's and cat elimators on mine..
it backfires on deccel and smells rich.. even my clothes smell later..
ppl say they run lean.. but I coulda swore otherwise..

I highly recommend getting your bike on an O2 analyzer... this will def eliminate popping and should correct some if not all unburned fuel...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree

I use wideband o2's on my RX7's to tune them (they are very knock sensitive and a few hard pings can pop a seal requiring an overhaul (on my 3rd motor at the moment))

3 problems

1- stock ECU is not tunable (need to invest in a DP ecu+PC)
2- no local dealer yet and when they arrive they wont be able to tune cuz of #3
3- we have only 2 car dyno's and no dyno's here (not enough bikes to justify the expense)

so unless I can find a way to plot A/F ratio vs RPM and load and datalog the runs on the street...

there's not much I can do..

I was thinking of starting by making sure the TB's are sync'ed and that the TPS is adjusted... but I can't do those without the tool either :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
S4RS stalling problem

I have a 2007 S4RS (about 3,500 miles) which has the same periodic stalling problem as discussed here by others. It occurs intermittenly (i) on hard deceleration when I brake and down shift to first, fully off the throttle; and (ii) sometimes on restart (after getting gas or after a prior stall). There seems to be no correlation between the stalling and the bike being fully warmed up or not. My bike has the full dealer installed carbon Termignoni pipes and ECU set up. (Awesome bike.)

I took it to my local Ducati mechanic (not the dealer) and he said it seemed like some sort of electrical problem. His diagnostic said a possible loose connection at the battery or coil. On examination, however, neither had a loose connection. He was befuddled and told me to just ride it.. Not very satisfying solution.

I keep the bike on a trickle charger when it is is in the garage. I wonder if the stalling may suggest a bad battery or a battery that is not fully charged? My mechanic did not mention this as a possibility.

I am only posting my issue on this site. I don't think the bike is still under warranty, but not sure about that. I am reluctant to take it to my Ducati dealer, as they have a bit of a difficult attitide since I did not buy the bike from them..

Any input or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
151 Posts
join the club... what area of the world do you live in? climate? Humidity?

Is this forum viewed my Industry Professionals, Duc Techs, Sales Personnel? I post half a comment on a Bentley forum and I get at least 2 Pro's commenting or PMing me... This forum should be the same considering how many individuals are Duc fanatics.

Just my .02

·
Registered
99 Posts
I live in high heat and humidity

but it's winter at the moment ad still get random stalling

some days worse then others..

sometimes it'll disapear for days or weeks

sometimes it'll happen 3-4 times in one day...

i haven't quite found a pattern to it either..

·
Registered
151 Posts
I live in high heat and humidity

but it's winter at the moment ad still get random stalling

some days worse then others..

sometimes it'll disapear for days or weeks

sometimes it'll happen 3-4 times in one day...

i haven't quite found a pattern to it either..

I have a feeling High climate heat and humidity compounded with High engine heat are the culprits. Before I completed ONE single mod on my S4RT I broker her in by the book... therefore I never came down from 6th to 1st and I never came off a full throttle rip... with that said, she still stalled on me 2-3 times... what stands out about the night she stalled was the incredible heat/humidity AND my engine was steady at 224 degrees... dunno, might be might not be the issue... what are your thoughts??

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am in sunny and dry California. The stalling is without rhyme or reason: hot days; cool days. I only ride in dry conditions but the humidity here is minimal. Weird.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The best explanation of the Ducati stalling problem that I've read can be found here:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/accessories-mods/163735-official-closed-loop-ecu-modification-thread-22.html#post2308452

Short answer: Ducatis have slightly leaky valves (low spring force shutting the valve), combine that with a closed loop exhaust system and you get a bike that stalls out due to the ECU frantically trying to richen the mixture. Seems to be a common problem with all bikes with O2 sensors ... I know it's was a problem on mine.

See if you need a valve job, and junk that closed loop ECU.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Short answer: Ducatis have slightly leaky valves (low spring force shutting the valve), combine that with a closed loop exhaust system and you get a bike that stalls out due to the ECU frantically trying to richen the mixture. Seems to be a common problem with all bikes with O2 sensors ... I know it's was a problem on mine.

See if you need a valve job, and junk that closed loop ECU.

I do NOT consider myself a Duc expert by any means... but I do know the very basics... like the fact Ducati's DO NOT have valve springs... they used proprietary technology called Desmodromic valves which replaces the more conventional spring valve system...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I encountered the same issue on my 08 S2r1000-(I bought it used @ 5200 mi)and it was stalling a lights and stop signs. It would restart just fine, cold starts or hot, but stall after coming to a stop. I noticed the engine drop down a few rpms and then stall. Seems to me it was an ECU issue.

After I added a complete exhaust system- I figured I would have to add some device to richen the AFR, and tried the first cheap fix with an 02 manipulator- and that didnt do the job. Went with a new programmable ECU from MicroTec- eliminated the 02 sensors- and the bike runs great-

·
Registered
238 Posts
I do NOT consider myself a Duc expert by any means... but I do know the very basics... like the fact Ducati's DO NOT have valve springs... they used proprietary technology called Desmodromic valves which replaces the more conventional spring valve system...
Even if you are right with the desmodromic desription; there is a spring involved in the shutting of the valve. It is used to help the closing rocker especially in lower rpm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the input. I doubt that a valve job is in order as the bike has only 3,500 miles or so on it. It does have the carbon Termignoni pipes and the ECU that came with them. I don't pretend to understand much and certainly not the ECU mapping. But I wonder if that might be a solution to the problem. I have the same experience: at deceleration, the revs peter put and the bike stalls. Sometimes on restart, the engine does not rev to a proper idle RPM and stalls. Then after a restart or two, the engine kicks up inbto a proper idiling RPM. The sense I get is that the problem is in a fuel air mixture and is NOT an electrical problem as my mechanic suspected.

·
Registered
130 Posts
There is a small closing spring. A desmodromic system would grind itself to a pulp without a closing spring because physical parts cannot be made perfectly. And even if the parts could be made perfectly down to the precise atom, a perfect desmodromic system wouldn't apply any real pressure against the valve seat.

Look at your shop manual. On my bike it's part number 799.1.061.3A and it's called a closing rocker spring.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the input. I doubt that a valve job is in order as the bike has only 3,500 miles or so on it. It does have the carbon Termignoni pipes and the ECU that came with them. I don't pretend to understand much and certainly not the ECU mapping. But I wonder if that might be a solution to the problem. I have the same experience: at deceleration, the revs peter put and the bike stalls. Sometimes on restart, the engine does not rev to a proper idle RPM and stalls. Then after a restart or two, the engine kicks up inbto a proper idiling RPM. The sense I get is that the problem is in a fuel air mixture and is NOT an electrical problem as my mechanic suspected.
The head on a Ducati is cast aluminum. When you cast something there are internal stresses in the part from the uneven crystallization of the metal. If these stresses aren't relieved in manufacturing through proper heat treatment, they remain. When the head is assembled there are stresses from the tension of the head bolts too.

When you break in your bike and heat cycle the engine a few times you effectively relieve some of these stresses and the size / shape of the heads changes a little bit. As a result the valves might not be seating correctly. Do a simple leak down test, that will show if this is a problem or not.

But since you have the Termi pipes and DP ECU, then the above problem/solution goes out the window b/c your bike is open loop.

All I know is that the above explanation fits very well with what happened to my bike and the problem was solved by going open loop.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts