Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 S4. Stock airbox + slip ons + stock tune. Picked it up this past May. She was running rough due to some bad gas after it was left sitting for a year. Got it all cleared up but recently the bike's been stalling at idle after it's warmed up. Adjusting the idle lever on the bars doesnt help.

After searching the forum, I was planning to do a TPS reset and throttle body balance but wanted to check with the local dealer here in HK to see how much they charge first. Service guy says they've seen this problem before and the likely culprit is the ECU but they'll do the regular service items first.

Is the ECU known to cause a rough idle when warm?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Those guys...
A brain tumor could cause a headache, but it wouldn't be my first assessment.

A TPS reset never hurts. Followed by checking the idle air screws. Standard starting point is 1 full turn out from fully closed. If you do this, might want to count the turns as you close them. Just so you know where you were at.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Right, do the simple/ cheap stuff first. In addition to the adjustments already mentioned, try cleaning the throats and butterflies on the throttle bodies. My Busa is very sensitive to this. Run a can of quality injector cleaner through it, then replace the spark plugs. My S4RS stalled a few times until I did this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, y'all. I have my connector arriving next week and so I'll go through the suggested and see if there's any improvement.

Cheers and stay safe!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts