Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys how is it going?
I’m in need of a bit of help from you all.
2004 Ducati Monster 620 13,XXX miles
About month and half ago my bike started acting up and leaving me stranded here and there. Issue was that while out riding at no matter what speed my bike would die, engine light would pop up and had to stop to start it back sometimes to no avail until I waited a while. Every time I turned the key to on position lights will come normally but fuel pump couldn’t be heard but instead a loud fast clicking coming from one of the relays right next to the tank on the left and I noticed that every time that clicking was gone the fuel pump would prime fine and bike would turn on and ride normally until the next incident.
Went ahead and replaced both relays, fuel pump and fuel filter since it’s was a super easy job and inexpensive and bike rode fine for a couple rides then i didn’t ride it for a like full month until yesterday and the exact same thing happened leaving me stranded one block from home luckily. Same symptoms again I swapped the relays and nothing and I even tried the old relays I had laying around and nothing the only thing that helps is leaving the bike alone for like 15-20 minutes and it starts back up like nothing happened.
Hopefully some of you have gone through this same issue and can point me in the right direction or if there’s any Ducati techs in here I’d greatly appreciate it. I’m pretty comfortable doing anything mechanical on cars and bikes but my weakness is electrical stuff.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
627 Posts
It's the wires....pull the relay....fit a like sized terminal in the connector....one of those terminals is loose causing an intermittent connection...if you don't find one loose it's upstream...a wire diagram will do wonders tracking it down...but start with the relay clip

Actually start with battery and chasis grounds

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the wires....pull the relay....fit a like sized terminal in the connector....one of those terminals is loose causing an intermittent connection...if you don't find one loose it's upstream...a wire diagram will do wonders tracking it down...but start with the relay clip

And that woul cause my bike to stall while riding like that? I’ll look into the relay clip. I tried last night but it was like 11pm and too dark.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If the wire goes to the fuel pump.... absolutely...not priming on key on is a pretty common thread right now...I've experienced it myself on my m821...heat and vibrations can cause problems with everything...it's a simple fix...might not prove permanent but I think popping out the terminal to re-establish a firm contact is a good start...and going by your symptoms I would feel pretty confident saying that the problem is there or very nearby....also noticed the relay mount is rigid...all of mine are in flexible rubber holders...bet that's why...let us know what you find

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the wire goes to the fuel pump.... absolutely...not priming on key on is a pretty common thread right now...I've experienced it myself on my m821...heat and vibrations can cause problems with everything...it's a simple fix...might not prove permanent but I think popping out the terminal to re-establish a firm contact is a good start...and going by your symptoms I would feel pretty confident saying that the problem is there or very nearby....also noticed the relay mount is rigid...all of mine are in flexible rubber holders...bet that's why...let us know what you find
Yea seems like an easy fix and that’s what I was hoping because I’m not that good at electrical stuff but I can spot a bad connection or wire in bad state just didnt want to move anything much without knowing if that was the issue. Sounds like I have a lil project this weekend

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can a bad or dying battery cause the issue too? I haven’t tested the battery yet so maybe that’s a good place to start?

·
Registered
627 Posts
It doesn't sound like a battery issue...but when dealing with electric, it's good practice to charge it up first

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yep....pull the relay....there should be four connectors....pull the connectors and see what kind of condition they're in....a terminal removal tool simplifies this

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Double check the wiring in the clip to the relay...was just in mine...
Took me a while, but finally found the lose connection
Yep....pull the relay....there should be four connectors....pull the connectors and see what kind of condition they're in....a terminal removal tool simplifies this
Jesus! Took me a while but finally found it and you were right! It was a lose connection in the clip! I’m so glad!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took me a while, but finally found the lose connection

Jesus! Took me a while but finally found it and you were right! It was a lose connection in the clip! I’m so glad!
Still not fixed! I thought that was the issue and seem that’s the issue but after replacing the bad terminal the issue still there. Is it possible the bad connection fried my relays and after they get hot they stop working? It stops working after a few minutes of the bike running then when it cools down for a few minutes it starts back and then starts clicking/sticking rapidly and the fuel pump stops working. My battery is fine because I checked while bike
was off, while I turned the key to on (lights everything) it never dropped bellow 11.xx even after starting the bike never dropped past 11 and went up past 12 after it was on.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The relay if rapid cycling for a length of time can fail...I'd try swapping one from another location on the bike...if the exact same problem occurs...it's not the relay....but where there's 1 loose connection there's bound to be another

When it's clicking....which pair of terminals is loosing the voltage....one set powers up a coil...the other acts the power switch...once you determine which set is the problem...go upstream to the next component...

If the relay is good...start looking at the grounds along the pathway

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The relay if rapid cycling for a length of time can fail...I'd try swapping one from another location on the bike...if the exact same problem occurs...it's not the relay....but where there's 1 loose connection there's bound to be another

When it's clicking....which pair of terminals is loosing the voltage....one set powers up a coil...the other acts the power switch...once you determine which set is the problem...go upstream to the next component...

it’s only that one circled in red and only on that relay. I moved it around and it would stop clicking and I’d hear the fuel pump instantly kicking and prime. But it still does the same after replacing the terminals and switching to a different relay. But my thought is that my all my relays old and new ate fried because they’ve been ran with the lose connection now, other than that I’m all out of ideas. I’m not too familiar with with the grounds and didn’t see much upstream, no more relays either or at least same type.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'd try for a new one then....it could be the contacts in the relay are just buggered...or it could be the signal voltage to the coil which trips the contact is erratic...either could be possible...

The signal to the relay comes from the ECU...i think...I'd take a look at the ground wire(s) for the ECU itself...there's probably 2 or three...pop off the clip and just do a continuity to ground to find em...these might need a tool to remove...switching the voltmeter to ohms would allow you to check the quality of wire...should be very close to zero...but that doesn't check the contact quality...if it's shiny it's probably still good...resist the urge to start poking them...your more likely to make the connection worse...I suspect what ever is the fault will be noticeable

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd try for a new one then....it could be the contacts in the relay are just buggered...or it could be the signal voltage to the coil which trips the contact is erratic...either could be possible...

The signal to the relay comes from the ECU...i think...I'd take a look at the ground wire(s) for the ECU itself...there's probably 2 or three...pop off the clip and just do a continuity to ground to find em...these might need a tool to remove...switching the voltmeter to ohms would allow you to check the quality of wire...should be very close to zero...but that doesn't check the contact quality...if it's shiny it's probably still good...resist the urge to start poking them...your more likely to make the connection worse...I suspect what ever is the fault will be noticeable
Could you post a photo or two of what I’m supposed to be looking at? Like I said before anything electrical I’m lost. Thanks for all your help! I’m confident I’ll sort it out tomorrow if weather permits

·
Registered
627 Posts
Do you have the wiring diagram for the bike....8m looking at it now...the grounds look all tied together...have you cleaned the chasis ground? Not sure where it is...but I'd give it some attention first

·
Registered
627 Posts
Check the connection in the fuse box for connection quality too as well as for fuse #4 they share the same input voltage

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Check the connection in the fuse box for connection quality too as well as for fuse #4 they share the same input voltage
No, no diagram and I did looked around the fused box and everything seemed fine but I’ll double checked again today. I’ve never done anything like this before. I’ve done spark plugs and oil change and that’s it for this bike. I’ve had two o other Ducatis before 749 and monster 750 and never encountered any issues so all of this is just new and a headache to me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts