Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday, when i was riding hard, and coming to a complete stop (damn lights), my M900 wouldn't come to idle but it would stall. anyone have any idea?

·
Registered
56 Posts
i had the same thing with my s4 yesterday... weird eh? it just did it once. and mines fuel injected too!

sorry i didnt help very much... ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
odd indeed.

the bike was actually running like a banshee too. no signs that she was mad at me, or anything.

could the rain have anything to do with it? the ITG filter looked like it worked fine. i don't even have an open airbox, just the snorkels off.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
If it was cold at the time (below 50 degrees F), you probably experienced carburetor icing. I've usually had to keep blipping the throttle for as long as 30 seconds before my bike would idle.

It's most likely to happen after riding at speed for more than 5 minutes. The first time you come to a stop it won't idle until some engine heat makes its way back to the carburetors.

My personal solution to the problem is to not ride in the cold. Basically that means waiting until the afternoon rather than riding in the morning during the winter. If I find some reason to ride anyway in the cold, I just remember to help the engine out a little when I come to the first stop after riding a ways.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I've had this issue on my S4 after riding for a while, then stopping. It was pretty much a hot weather thing. I would go to start her back up and she wouldn't run w/o the throttle advance lever pulled on. It would take a few minutes for it to get back to a smooth idle.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wonder if that's what happened this afternoon?

Went out about 4 PM and maybe 48 degrees.
Tank was 3/4 full and I'd just put in a dose of StaBil so off to the station for a top off maybe 3 miles away.

Fired up after filling up and it stuttered for about 3 more miles and just generally ran like crap.

Plus the damn thing still really "buzzes" at maybe 4 and 6k rpm , ever since I changed the rear sprocket (40 t).

Now that shouldn't have even a remote connection to the buzz, but that's the time line. ???

Now I'm just waiting for my knees to thaw out. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
great feedback monstra! that's what happened to me! thanks for the post...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts