Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike was warm but not fully warm (142 F water temp). Was downshifting behind traffic, going downhill toward an intersection. Hit first gear and the engine stopped. I left the clutch engaged, hoping for a "bump start", no joy. Hit the starter while still rolling and it fired up but was sluggish for a second or so, then ran normally. Any Ideas? Anyone else this has happened to?

· Registered
76 Posts
I have had something like this twice. I was at a light. Normal temperature. I was waiting to turn right and I let out the clutch and roll a little gas but my whole dash starts blinking red and I'm not going anywhere. Bike stalls out....started fine and everything looked normal when I stop. So I don't know. I have 8k miles on it this summer and I restore classic cars for a living. So It wasn't user error.

· Registered
12 Posts
Random but do you by any chance have an aftermarket quick shifter?
My bike kept stalling as I was downshifting to get a stop, sluggish on the restart similar to what you described, and eventually I figured out the quick shifter was the culprit.

· Registered
67 Posts
There is an old thread on a similar symptom with the fly-by-wire throttles here; TLDR for me, but the takeaway was an ECU update may eliminate or improve it. Throttle body balancing was also mentioned. My 1200R stalled occasionally when chopping the throttle with the clutch pulled while downshifting from 2nd to 1st, and it had the Termignoni full system with ECU reflash. I learned to either blip the throttle when downshifting into 1st, or just avoid that gear change entirely when rolling up to a light, since the bike had enough torque to power away in 2nd if the light turned green, and made it easier to find neutral in the last few feet of stopping if it didn’t.

I haven’t stalled the 937+…yet. <knocks on wooden head>

Reactions: johnnycay57
1 - 5 of 5 Posts