Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
twice now . . . once approaching a light at very moderate speed; i guess i wanted to make more noise when approaching the light so i decided to downshift into first, not something i normally do as first can be kind of rough. it stalled. i was able to coast into a parking lot and restart the bike fine.

second time, on the freeyway approaching an off ramp. traffic slowed to about 45 mph and i downshifted from third into second, again, probably to let cars around me know i was there, but nothing too agressive or out of the ordinary. stalled on freeway. was able to restart right away while rolling about 20 mph.

called my local dealer where i bought the bike (still under warranty). tech guy had not heard anything like this. the only thing that i noticed different about bike is that i tend to notice more noise in the lower gears, especially second and first . . . i've heard some odd rattling sounds before, when slowly shifting out or into first or second and i do get a few false neutrals (or rather false first gears— bike should be in gear but rolls like its in neutral) etc. i attributed this sound to ducati's design and i figured that i needed to be a bit more aggressive when shifting, popping it into gear rather than lightly shifting (this is pretty standard on most bike, especailly harleys . . . ).

anyone else experienced this? taking bike in for a looksee next week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
. . . interesting! no. got it in late september and besides changing the oil, i've done nothing else. will bring that up to the dealer.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Mine has the updates and still does this from time to time, though it hasn't for awhile now. Out of curiosity, what mileage are you at?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Throckmorton .. You need to read the "Ducati taking my 2014 Monster 1200s back" thread. Believe me, you are not alone with this problem.

Still waiting to hear from anyone with a 2015 bike who has this problem. Really want to know if it is a 2014 model year problem that got fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i seem to have problems bump starting newer bikes 07- on . . . not sure why. i have not tried bump strarting my ducati yet; will try that after i take bike in for a look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for this. going to call around and check boards before taking the bike in for some stupid firmware update that won't do ****. what a drag . . .

·
Registered
782 Posts
Flash solved my Monster's teething issue. Hasn't had an issue since.

and the newer bikes are a bitch to bump start due to high compression and the slipper clutch.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have had the symptom as described by the OP a couple of times since I got the bike...until today. 3 times on the way into work (4 KM) this morning the bike stalled. The first time it really, really didn't want to re-start and just started as the advance green for the opposite direction ended and allowed me to go. Whew! Then I made my turn and got to the next light and as I was gearing down again I pulled in the clutch to stop and it stalled again. This time it started right back up. I had to stop at a few more lights and stop signs and had no problems until I slowed down to turn into the parking lot at work and the bike stalled again. This time the engine light came on as well but it still started right up again. I got into the office and called the dealer and basically demanded an appointment for tomorrow so I'm taking it in to have them go over it.

It seems to me that once it warms up the revs drop too low when you pull in the clutch, basically creating the conditions for it to stall. Seems to me that even though I'm supposed to have the "latest" firmware (according to the dealer when I took it in for it's oil change 6 weeks ago) the idle mix is way too lean. Maybe I can make them put a Rapid Bike tuner in it!:smile

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2015 Diavel did this and it has to do with the lightweight flywheel and balancing the air bleeder in these high performance engines

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there any way of determining which firmware version/update the bike has? Can you "ask" the bike to display that info?
Is this possible? Would be nice to be able to check.

I knew about this issue before picking up the bike but previous owner didn't put many miles on it and said he never had an issues. I noticed the problem only happens when I'm up in the revs and clutch in without blipping the throttle. I don't get any weird lights or errors, engine just cuts. Occasionally it sputters and doesn't completely stall but my headlight will turn off and back on and continue running. When it does stall though I can simply hold the clutch in and start the bike back up no hesitation, no need to turn the key off or anything.

I know others on here mentioned the flash but I asked the previous owner and he said it had been updated, he was a manager at a local Ducati dealership so I figured he would know. I'm taking the bike back to get Termi's on it anyways and I didn't read of anyone having the issue after the Termi install but I'll have them check the flash just in case!

My first Duc so a little disappointed, but I figure this is what everyone said when they told me the Italian bikes have "personality" compared to the Japanese bikes!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Is this possible? Would be nice to be able to check.

I knew about this issue before picking up the bike but previous owner didn't put many miles on it and said he never had an issues. I noticed the problem only happens when I'm up in the revs and clutch in without blipping the throttle. I don't get any weird lights or errors, engine just cuts. Occasionally it sputters and doesn't completely stall but my headlight will turn off and back on and continue running. When it does stall though I can simply hold the clutch in and start the bike back up no hesitation, no need to turn the key off or anything.

I know others on here mentioned the flash but I asked the previous owner and he said it had been updated, he was a manager at a local Ducati dealership so I figured he would know. I'm taking the bike back to get Termi's on it anyways and I didn't read of anyone having the issue after the Termi install but I'll have them check the flash just in case!

My first Duc so a little disappointed, but I figure this is what everyone said when they told me the Italian bikes have "personality" compared to the Japanese bikes!
To that end, can those with the Termis confirm or deny that they have not had the bike stall since they had the Termis installed and presumably the firmware updated to match? Mine started stalling again when the temperature started to drop. While it is true that the flywheel is light I can't help feeling it's a fuelling issue, especially since it's only when I chop the throttle quickly to hit the brakes when I'm riding aggressively that the problem happens to me.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
If you know how to sync throttle bodies, I'd try that. If not, ask your dealer to do it. Throttle body "adjustment" (sync) may be on the list of maintenance items for the 1000km service so look at that first.

Stalling when pulling in the clutch (or chopping the throttle quickly) in any gear at any speed has been a known problem for other makes, and the throttle body sync was the remedy.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I was told part of the issue was the clutch slave. My bike stalled twice after replacing. Has happened 4 times in 6k miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To that end, can those with the Termis confirm or deny that they have not had the bike stall since they had the Termis installed and presumably the firmware updated to match? Mine started stalling again when the temperature started to drop. While it is true that the flywheel is light I can't help feeling it's a fuelling issue, especially since it's only when I chop the throttle quickly to hit the brakes when I'm riding aggressively that the problem happens to me.
Well, I should have mine on soon, not sure how much testing I'll get after the install with winter coming soon, but I'll do my best to get it out every chance I get... For science! [thumbsup]

1 - 20 of 88 Posts