Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lo all,
Insurance company have confirmed they are writing off my monster :(

I'm left now with no bike and no monsters available in my price range and being summer here no [email protected] wants to sell their bike !!!

Only Duke I'd consider other than a monster is an ST2 and there are some around in my price range.

I guess they just dont grab me to look at like the monster does, but I'm also fully aware of the monster's shortcomings on long stints at high speeds so I'm kind of torn.

Do I wait for the bike I love or try something that doesnt grab me the same but by all accounts is a great bike ?

Are there any websites like this for ST owners ? Have searched using google and yahoo and failed to come up with any resource on ST's as good as this ?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I've had similar thoughts. My Monster is not as comfy as my last bike and I really notice after about an hour and a half. Second, I'm really jealous of my BMW riding buddy changing gear, adding or removing layers from his hard bags. I've owned only naked bikes but my interest in ST2,3,4 is growing.
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I regularly trade bikes with a friend that has a Multistrada. I always think that it'd be nice to have a bike that's a little more touring oriented and he always says that he misses having a more straight forward sporting bike.

After I think about it for a while, for the kind of riding I usually do (day trips commuting, around town...) the Monster is more suited for me. When I happen to do an over-nighter, I have a tail bag and a set of soft saddle bags that'll do the trick and the Sargent saddle makes it a little more reasonable for my backside.

Now that I have a Monster, a SS, and a Superbike, I guess the next Ducati will have to be either an ST or a Multi.... (actually, I have an older BMW in the garage too if I really want to go for comfort over performance. :)

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Two bikes ago (long story) I had an ST2. The funny thing with panniers is that the more you can carry - the more you carry. Mind you it was a great bike but not as good in town as the monster and not as good in the tight stuff. Go the Multistrada and get the best of both worlds. Then again perhaps you already know what you want?

·
Registered
270 Posts
ive been through this befor too! my advice is to fork out the extra bucks (if you have to ) and buy the bike that u love. if you buy the St2 you will wish that you bought the monster. My first ducati was a monster 900s and since then ive had a 900ss & 916 superbike. but guess what! Ive just ordered a S4R! if i did that a couple of years ago it would have saved me plenty. Buy what you really want.
Dan

PS ST2 are crap anyway

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ive been through this befor too! my advice is to fork out the extra bucks (if you have to ) and buy the bike that u love. if you buy the St2 you will wish that you bought the monster. My first ducati was a monster 900s and since then ive had a 900ss & 916 superbike. but guess what! Ive just ordered a S4R! if i did that a couple of years ago it would have saved me plenty. Buy what you really want.
Dan

PS ST2 are crap anyway
I am also trying to choose between a 900 Monster and an ST2 for my first Ducati. Either one would be somewhat of a compromise for the kind of riding I intend to do. I guess I need two bikes - a Superbike and a touring bike? - or a Multistrada, but I can't afford those options. Anyway, I am interested why you don't like the ST2? Do you think it fails as a tourer AND it is too big and heavy to be sporty? Or what?

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I own two monsters and a ST2, totally different purpose bikes, The ST2 is great for almost everything except high speed stuff , its not a sportbike but neither is the Monster.
I love the ST2 with panniers, ride anywhere, get off, lock your stuff and walk away. Now I am selling the ST2 to buy a MTS and also a BMW, so if your close to NC and wanna ride an ST let me know, its great just not agile a little Monster is.
Jim

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have been more specific, sorry ST2 owners, I just think that they are ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have to agree...try as I might I look at my friend's ST4 from all angles and it just isnt sexy. Monsters are sexy. Superbikes are sexy. Even the supersports look cool. The ST just doesnt grab you like the other series do.

I'm sure if it was a great bike it would grow on me but is that like saying "I'll marry his girl and maybe next week I'll have a woody for her..."

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
st's are great bikes, a little too heavy for really flicking it and tossing around in the twisties. get the st4 if you can, much more power and makes the weight seem less. also st4 suspension is much better in stock trim. monsters are more fun for less than 300 miles. for those of you wanting bags ducati sells the same bags on the st for the late model monsters. once you get used to bags it is hard to get away from them. it is nice to stop and add/remove layers according to weather/temp etc. the bags really come in handy when commuting, or running to the store for some milk and bread, "sure honey ill be back in a bit" yeah, take the long way home- really fast!

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Lo all,
Are there any websites like this for ST owners ? Have searched using google and yahoo and failed to come up with any resource on ST's as good as this ?
I think this is the best board for STx owners and questions:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/st2_owners/

Richard has done an incredible job with his ST2 web site:

http://webpages.charter.net/strysnie/ducati/index.html

If you have a minute or two, be sure to check out the ST FAQ:

http://www.bike-gizmos.com/DucatiSTFAQ.html

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
It seems like I've answered this same question somewhere about half a dozen times in the past month. The ST2 feels better to me on the freeway and at higher speeds, plus you can easily haul a lot of stuff around on it if you want. The Monster feels better around town and in the tight twisties and makes me want to loft the front wheel all the time.

I've only put about 250 miles on my ST2, compared to 19,600 on the Monster, so I can't give a fair comparison yet. The links posted by Infoage1 are the best ones to check out for ST2 information. The Yahoo list gets a lot of messages, so you have to use searches to try to get down to the topics you're interested in.

If I could afford it, I would have a Multistrada rather than either an ST2 or a Monster.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks alot for the feedback and the links, invaluable to hear from people with 1st hand experience.

I think I will wait for another monster, the ST would be great for long trips but at the end of the day I think it just isn't me (yet).

Having said that there is a REALLY cheap 2002 supersport near me...

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
There is one other option, if you can manage it. I love my Monster, and consider it a keeper until it becomes a vintage classic - in other words forever.

But I had two needs to fill that the Monster wasn't quite right for. I needed an off road bike to chase after my daughter on jeep trails and dirt roads when she's on her dirt bike (nothing too rough, just off road). And as much as I've dreamed about hitting the road for 3-4 days on the Monster, a little voice keeps telling me I won't do it but once because I call it a day after riding about 70 miles each way to and from Daytona plus cruising around town while up there.

So I tried out a BMW F650 available for cheap, and loved it. It meets the two uncovered mission areas perfectly ( it even came with BMW hard panniers for those long trips). A good deal on a KLR 650, a DR 650, or Honda Transalp 650 or XL 650 would provide the same abilities - although I've looked at most of those and like the BMW better for several reasons, especially lower seat height.

So I pretty much had to get a second bike since getting rid of the Monster isn't an option. I'm pretty happy with the collection now.

It's something to think about - get the Monster first because it's the main focus. Then think about and keep an eye out for a second bike down the road that's everything different from the Monster that you'd like.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The whole two (or more) bike idea has merit -I just cant afford it. Nice to see people posting in the forum about their brand new S4/S4R and the stack of mods they are getting but how many of us can actually afford these bikes and their servicing ??? My wife took on a whole new shade of evil when my 2v monster had to have even a minor service and now she's begging me to get a honda or a suzuki just for the service costs.....plus she wants a new bike too...maybe I'll get her a tourer so *I* can have the best of both...heheheh

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I think you hit on a good solution - If the wife wants a new bike, make it a different type to give both of you more options. You can still ride together on differing types of bikes, or take turns on either bike depending on the purpose of the ride.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I've got 13k miles on the Monster, and pushing 10k on the ST2. It's interesting how different they are given how similar they are underneath the covers.

I ride the ST2 almost exclusively as my daily driver, for anything involving my wife (the Monster doesn't have passenger pegs anymore), or if I want storage (the panniers are awesome). I used to ride the Monster half the time to work, but the ST2 is so much more comfortable that it's no contest.

The Monster has become my "sportbike" - relegated to twisty weekend rides, trackdays, or the occasional posing (such as during tomorrow's Mods vs. Rockers event in San Diego).

As far as appeal, the Monster has far more, at least to me, but over time, the function of the bike is ultimately what wins out. The ST2 is, for me, the more functional bike. It's more comfortable, provides better wind protection, has storage capacity galore, and has an outlet for my heated gloves (yes, I know I live in San Diego but when it's 40 degrees in the morning I'm a wimp!). I keep from riding it up to Palomar because I'm afraid it will be more than adequate in the twisties and then the poor Monster will be left to sit :)

Good luck,

Mark

·
Registered
326 Posts
It sounds odd but multiple bikes are the way to go. It make take yeasr to SLOWLY build a collection without the wifey throwing a fit but it is worth it (luckily my wife loves bikes and could care less how many we have so long as we actually ride them... no garage queens allowed).

As an example I recently sold my BMW R1200-C. This was an awesome bike, lots of torque, good acceleration, comfortable, huge saddlebags, adjustable suspension, ABS, etc, etc. I really liked the design astetic of the bike and there were lots of very nice and convenienet details. The problem with teh bike is why it was a great all around bike because it was good as so many things it was the master of none. It wasn't really a cruiser, wasn't really a sport bike, wasn't really a standard, and as much as BMW like to market it as a dirt road and gravel bike it wasn't really that either. I hated to let it go because it looked so good and received so much attention everywhere we went. It was a decent all around bike it just didn't excell at any one thing and I just couldn't get fired up about it anymore.

The Multi, the Monster, the STs all do fifferent things well and that is why Ducati can sell them. If they all did the exact same things then there would be no reason. People tend to think of all 2 wheel transportation as being similar but bikes are a lot more like cars than we think. Sportcars, SUVs, hot-rods, etc. all exist in bike form as well.

The lesson is, don't try to find a bike to serve all of your riding needs. It may exist on paper but your heart and the seat of your pants will tell you different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts