Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that the ST 2 and 4 frame are bolt ups for the 00 and up 600/750/900 monsters? .
Are engine parts are interchangeable with the 600/750/900's from other models that the ST use, 916/944?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Someone may correct me if Im wrong but the Monsters of 2001 and earlier vintage (except for the S4) use a frame based on the 851 frame where as its the 01 S4 and 02 Monsters who use an ST based frame.

ST2 944 2 valve
ST4 916 4 Valve
ST4S 996 4Valve

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The early articles about the Monster said that the frame was from the 888 rather than the 851, but those two might just have the same frame. When I had a close-up look at an 888 the frame and aluminum swingarm looked exactly the same as my 97 M900.

Now that I have an ST2, I guess I'll have to examine some newer Monsters to compare frames and swingarms.

·
Registered
426 Posts
All the Monsters and ST frames are based on the 851. Why because it came first. None of them are exactly the same. Both the 851 and the 888 had bolt on rear sub frames. The Monster frames were the same from their inception till the S4 came along using a frame derived from the ST bikes. Later all the Monsters got the ST derived or S4 frame.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I suppose to clarify my points, the rear suspensions match the 2 above listed bikes.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the st frame is used as the basis for the s4 and '02 onward monsters. it's tubing is noticeably larger in diameter than the earlier, 888 based frame. similar in design, but different.

the frames don't swap as the rear sections are different, as are mounting points for all sorts of things.

the 2 designs are pin pointed by the rear suspension. hoop from swingarm straight up to rocker - 888.

single pushrod angled forward to rocker just behind rear head - st.

the steering head angle is a little shallower on the st based bikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts