Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Squeeeeky rear brake, Any suggestions?

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Speeddog 
G
#1 ·
??? My rear brake has been squeeking alot lately on my 2001 monster 600, even when not cold. I haven't tried any products yet. I just wanted to know what anyone else would recommend before I invest. Brake pads were last replaced about 10 months ago. Anyone ever apply a metallic strip to the back of each pad?

#2 ·
I have a suggestion.....

Don't use the rear brake ;D

Yeah, mine squeaks too. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't.

Doesn't bother me enough to have even thought about doing something about it.

#4 ·
Same suggestion I make every time this topic rears its head: Stop using the rear brake and the sound will go away. Really. Worked for me.
Dion

G
#5 ·
there's a couple of metal skids on the back-sides of the OEM supplied pads. switched pads to ferodo's and no metal skids. my guess is the squeal is these skids reverberating. try switching pads or at least pealing those skid things off the stockers. and if you do, let us know if it works ;)

#6 ·
I did the BrakeTech cast iron floating rotor and Ferodo Platinum "fix". FWIW, I kept the little steel "skid" plates.

It doesn't squeak and actually slows the bike down........the OEM parts squeaked like h&ll and I could hardly feel any deceleration.

Try the Ferodo pads first, as Moto and Strati don't have any squeaking with just that mod.

G
#11 ·
Your brakes are squeeling because you're not applying enough pressure to them: they're glazed.
as mensionned above, the easiest fix is NOT to use them. you don't need them. try riding a 996 with only the rear brakes. THEY DON'T WORK! :eek:
the real fix would be to take the pads off, sand them down lightly, and reinstall them. after that, you have to bed them correctly. this means doing a couple of runs at 30 mph, and braking hard to a stop. this should work.
if they still squeel, reffert to the first line of my post

#13 ·
Yah...It's braking.

If he uses more engine "breaking", he won't have to worry about brake squeak as the bike will be sitting in his garage or at the dealer, wating to be fixed. ;D

#16 ·
It's worth a try. It's nearly free, and it's easy.

This jogged a memory of a past experience with an old Benz:

Front pads were worn out, got some replacements from the local parts store. Commenced the R&R, noticed that the pads I took out (which never squeaked) had a patch of material on the piston side of the backing plate. It was like super hard cardboard. Replacement pads had no such material on 'em. Thought hmmmm...that's interesting. Installed the new pads, within a week they were squeaking like a garbage truck. Went to the dealer, paid the same money as I did at the local parts store, the OEM pads had the "patch" on 'em, and they didn't squeak.

#17 ·
anything that will change the frequency of vibration can eliminate the squeal. a good way to aviod squeal in the first place is proper break-in. if the pads become carbonized from heat, you will probably be stuck with noise and poor performance. probably the worst enemy is light application before the brakes are bedded in.

#18 ·
Mine only squeek at very low speed - so - I only use them at higher speed. And using the rear brake does slow the bike, used in concert of course with the front brake. Using your rear brake saves some wear on the front. And since you need less grab on the front brake the front end tends to dive less.
I've been meaning for about 2 years to sand my pads... but, well, you know how that goes. Maybe this winter.

#19 ·
Permatex disc brake quiet, Autozone has the small packets, a little dab will do ya.. Noise is usually pad rubbing on piston, this stuff puts a small layer of some polymer between, worked for me and has worked on many of my cars and motorcycles before.

#22 ·
Got the Forodos put on, seem to be ok we'll see:)
Which Ferodo pads did you get?

BTW, thanks for posting your preliminary results, it's good to capture the final solution in a thread. Please let us know how it works out in the long run.

#24 ·
Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear that the pads are a good fix!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.