Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My M900 from 2000 (so first series with injection) has an issue with sputtering at constant (rather low) speeds. Idling is OK, also accelerating and highway speeds.
But driving around town is a bit difficult. I know the bike doesn't like low revs, but also around 4000-5000 it doesn't feel comfortable.
Once you open up again, and do where the bike is made for, it's OK

I read some post this might be a hard to solve issue with the early injections, is that really the case?

Would like to know what could be done to solve this!

Thanks!
Jaap

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi.

A lot of issues could make your bike do what it does - most of them related to the electrics, especially the FI-system.

Since your bike is from the early years of fuel injected two valve Ducs, you might benefit from my experiences with my former bike, a 1997 ST2:

I had problems very similar to yours. The bike would idle, accelerate and go fast without any problems - the problems was never there on spirited outings on backroads.

But on the highway at a steady pace around 4-5000 rpm after a few minutes the bike would act as if I was putting the kill switch from on to off and back all the time.

Several workshops tried to solve the problem, all believing that it was an electrical issue.

To make a very, very long story shorter in the end I found the problem myself:

In pure desperation I started pulling the bike apart. I took off the airbox, pulled out the injectors (left the fuel lines connected) and turned the ignition on to put pressure on the fuel system. And noticed that fuel was dripping from both injectors!!!

I bought two new injectors, put them in, airbox back on, test drove and the problem had disappered!

A friend of mine also driving a '97 ST2 experienced the same problem the following year - and the cure was the same.

If you perform this check take care - the fuel system operates at a rather high
pressure and fuel and unprotected eyes are a very bad combination.

Hope you find out what's wrong.

Best regards,
Martin

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Martin,

Sure sounds like comparable symptoms!

The bike is going to the shop coming Wednesday (I have a three months warranty) I'll ask them to look at this.

Thanks,
Jaap

1 - 3 of 3 Posts