Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some common causes for sput sputtering? Don't know the word for it, so I couldn't look it up. I took my bike out for a spin tonight and as I cracked open the throttle a little in second gear, going up a hill the engine starting coughing and I lost power, so I went back to 1st gear. After the hill, I went back into 2nd and cracked it hard, just to show my bike whos boss, but that time there was no coughing. (PLay games with me will you??!)

It might have been sputtering a little going up another hill, but I wasnt riding as hard. I think it's the hills that gave her trouble.

It was a little foggy out, temps at about 40 F or so, and I hadn't ridden since a week ago when the bike was stuck out in a bad snow/slush storm for like 6 hours. I hope it was just a matter of flushing out the system of any moisture.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
howie said:
It could be carb icing.
I agree. Carb icing usually occurs at above freezing ambient temps with high moisture/humidity.
As it gets closer to freezing the air usually is drier and it is not as much of a problem.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
KnightofNi II said:
How does one combat this "carb icing?"
On cars, the heat off the manifold is used to warm the air going into the carb. Bikes? dunno, some type of heating arrangement maybe? You will know if its icing if you stop for a few minutes, shut it off. The ice will melt and away you go running good. It only takes a very very small amount of ice build-up to restrict the carb.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was recommended heet, and it seems to be working alright. You buy the little bottle for like $5 and put maybe 1/5 of it in per gas tank. I've probably been using less actually.

Here are my observations:

weeks ago: Treachorous 300 mile freeway journey through 20-30 degree weather and itermittent heavy fog. Carbs iced over bad. Can't get above 45 mph.

The next day on return trip home: Use heet. Not a single cough out of the engine. (granted it was in the day time as opposed to going the early morning the way there)

Last week: Put in a new tankful of gas, didn't think heet was necessary this time. Take a ride out. Minor snowstorm hits while my bike is sitting outside, head out for home and engine completely craps out. Fearing I messed up my valves from the tune-up that weekend, I take the bike home in the back of a truck.

Couple days ago: Problem described at the start of this thread.

Saturday: Put in some more heet, fill the tank up. No problems whatsoever. Didn't even have to use the choke to start up (temps outside were about at a high of 41).

This isn't very conclusive, but as long as things keep running smoothly every time I use heet, I'm going to keep on using it. I've also been trying to not use the choke too much when I start up, maybe 10-15 sec on full, 15 more on almost turned off, then I head out. I think that's been helping the motor run more smoothly. I just take it easy for the first little bit.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
is there any other way to deal with this? the heet seems like a temp solution or a good one if you don't ride that often. i fill up every 2 days (the bike has a rat bladder of a gas tank) so i can't easily carry the bottle around with me.
is there such a thing as a heated carb? or a way to heat the carb?

i knew i should have gotten an injected bike

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The older carbed bikes were either equipped with or had provision to add a kit that heats the carb float bowls wth engine oil. Later ones use electric heaters.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
howie said:
The older carbed bikes were either equipped with or had provision to add a kit that heats the carb float bowls wth engine oil. Later ones use electric heaters.
is this all older carbed bikes or just ducs?

i forgot to put it in this thread, but the biek i'm having trouble with is the honda i just picked up

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
howie said:
I was referring to Monsters. Other brands, some do, many don't.
DAM!!!

any idea how hard it would be or how bad it owuld be for the bike if i built something insulated off the cylinder that surrounded the carb to try and keep it warm with the engine's heat?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
anybody ever thought of trying to somehow use a handlebar warmer kit ?. like maybe a small portion of the heat grid? just an instantaneous thought ::)

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Carb icing is the slide sticking on a vacuum operated slide. I'm not sure you could heat the body enough to combat the problem with a grip heater. Maybe directing warm air into the inlet.......?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
my old LTD had a piece that sat over the headers and was connected to the intake to warm it. i'm wondering if i could mod the intake and kinda cover the engine for the winder to do the same thing.

i think i should look into heated carbs first though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts