Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets talk sprockets. I have a 2001 750. My bike has a jet kit, arrow pipes, open airbox, but thats about it. I want some advice on sprockets for a little more performance enhancement. Can anyone advise me on some tooth changes. I need some numbers on teeth, and what that did for you. thanks all.

Anything else (within reason) you think I could do is welcome.

S

·
0 Posts
how new is your chain?
if it's fairly new, i'd suggest installing a 14t sprocket in front (to replace the stock 15t). people will argue that a 14t front sprocket will accellerate chain wear. if you were to install a larger rear sprocket instead, you'd likely need to buy a longer chain to account for the difference in diameter so who cares if a chain you'd otherwise replace wears quickly? a 14t front sprocket's pretty damn cheap ($40-ish) and very easy to install.
if the chain's about due for replacement, then go with the larger rear sprocket. take a look at your current unit and order one two or three teeth larger. steel will last for quite a while, but sprockets are pretty cheap so i went with aluminum and have been pleased. order a chain that's at least two links longer than your current one (typically sold with 120 links, cut off the appropriate amount to suit your new sprocket), install & enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I had similar mods on my `00 M750 for a while. OEM rear sprocket on my bike was 41t, I went to a 43t and definitely had better reponse, better power out of the corners, etc... Downside was that top speed dropped to 110-115 mph. If you don't care about that, it's a good and relatively cheap/easy mod.

With FCRs, light flywheel, and Dyna coils I was easily able to go back to the 41t. Now that I have magnesium wheels, I could probably get away with a 40t or 39t.

Another cheap mod if you haven't done it is to get rid of the emissions stuff and anything else you don't want/need. The figure that I keep hearing is 8 lbs. = 1 h.p. So anything you can do to make it lighter will improve the power to weight ratio and make the bike feel quicker.

Personally, I've dropped about 40 lbs over the last 4 months, so I think of that as a 5 hp gain for my whole fleet. ;D

--Fillmore

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
ClarkKent: You want specifics? I have them.

IF you are serious about making that 750 really move, you need a much larger change in ratio than 1 or 2 teeth.

If you can stomach 4700 RPM at 60 MPH (I run 4300 on my S$ with my modified gearing so don't sweat it), here's what you'd get:

0 to 60 time would decrease by 4/10 second, and you would carry that 4/10 all the way through to a quarter mile.

The maximum acceleration in G's (what you feel when the bike accelerates) would increase from 0.9G to 1.07G.

Your available horsepower in top gear at 60mph without downshifting would rise by almost 40%.

To get the raitio difference you need to do this, you need to change the rear sprocket only from 41 to 48 teeth, OR change front sprocket from 15 to 14 AND rear sprocket from 41 teeth to 45 teeth. I believe the 48 tooth is a "standard" available Ducati sprocket used as one alternative on a 620 Monster, so might be readily available.

Jim G

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. I probably need a new chain soon, so I'll change my rear sprocket. I appreciate the suggestions, and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts