Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
I was just comparing the the S4R and the M1000 on hte Ducati web page. I see that the sprockets are different on the 2 bikes. THe M1000 has a 39 rear and the S4R has a 42. I know people add a few in the rear and drop one in the front. What are the normal stock teeth for a monster? Are the S4R's the first to stsart getting 42 rear teeth? Or is the the M1000 the only one to get 39?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Depends on which monster it is, and which year...

Your S4R has the wide ratio 'box, so with a 15/42 your 6th gear is almost the same as mine, but your 1st gear is 12% lower.

My S4 has a 15/37. If my first gear wasn't so damn tall, I'd drop a tooth or two on the back. But that's just my (bizarre) preference, and I do plenty of 85 mph cruise time.....

Most folks here will recommend dropping a tooth on the front to get more snap. IIRC, Strati dropped a tooth on the front and added two on the rear on his S4. That must be REALLY exciting to grab a big handful in 1st gear. :eek:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is a good source for sprokets? Do people do the chains at the same time? Or is all in how far you go?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I first change my S4 to 14/41.........now that was sporty.
I then changed to 15/41 where it sits today. 1st gear is just a little quick; however, I can use 6th now (at something less than 80mph). Just play with different sprocket stacks until you find what best suits your riding.
I've ordered mine from Motowheels, Ducati, CA Cycleworks.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
What is a good source for sprokets? Do people do the chains at the same time? Or is all in how far you go?
Haven't bought any Duc sprockets yet...

Your chain is so new that you can change sprockets now with no ill effects....the chain and sprockets kind of wear at the same rate. If you had lots of miles on a chain & sprocket set, then put on a new piece, it'll wear fast and catch up to the other two parts.

If you change the sprockets by enough teeth, your chain will be too long or too short, then it's time to cut it shorter or buy another longer one.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Since the cost of sprockets and chains are relatively cheap I decided to change all three at the same time. I wanted the parts to break in with each other. I don't know if that's the best way to do it, but it makes sense to me. I bought both sprockets (I went up 2 teeth in the rear) and a fancy gold DID chain from CA-Cycleworks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts