Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My name is Marc and I live in Luxembourg (Europe) and I have a 2002 Monster 620ie Dark and so does my wife.

I thought to change the sprockets for a better response in the end gears. It is nearby impossible to get the engine at 10.000 rpms in the fifth gear on landroads and we usually don't ride on Motorways.

The original sprocket ratio is 15/46. Will it be better to change just the rear sprocket to 47 or will it take no great affect.

Should I change both sprockets, front to 14 and rear to 47?

Thanks for your advice

Marc620ieDarkness

S

·
0 Posts
heyya marc,
i'd recommend swapping the 15 for a 14 in front first. it's an easier modification (doesn't require removal of the rear wheel) and is about the equivalent to adding two teeth to the rear sprocket.
i think it'll get you right where you want to be with gearing and if you want MORE snap, then add a 48 to the rear. with this change, you should be able to keep your stock chain and save a bit of $$$....
enjoy!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks S4Strati!
I'll change the front sprocket and then see where it leeds. If necessary I'll change the rear one too.
I'll wait 'till next year, then it will be a S4R if my wallet allows me ;D
Ducati & Wheel Horse garden tractors rule!!!
Cheers
Marc620ieDarkness

·
Registered
374 Posts
??? OK, I bought a 14T front sprocket; now, how do I put it on? Thanks.

Scooby

step 1. Remove chain.
step 2. Not sure because I haven't looked but front sprocket should be heald on by C-clip. Remove C-clip. Carefull these things like to fly and once in fight they usally don't come back. EVEN.
step 3. slid sprocket off of the shaft.
step 4. slid new sprocket on the shaft. Starting to sound a little dirty.
step 5. Re-install C-clip.
step 6. Put chain back on and go riding.

D

·
0 Posts
I don't know about the 750, but with my S4 it doesn't matter how much pulling on the chain I did I couldn't remove the sprocket with out removing the clutch slave cylinder. Strati has an awesome do-it-yourself site:
www.ducatipipemod.com

·
Registered
374 Posts
Andrew, Just looked at your profile; where in Oregon are you?
I'm in Vancouver washington...

Scooby
If you can put 3 fingers between your chain and the top of your swing arm then (if you can put more you chain needs to be adjusted), I would just remove the master link from the chain. This way you have no chance of messing with the alignment of the wheel. It's a little harder to get it back on, but all you have to do is run the chain round both sprockets and then hold the end of the chain between the front sprocket and the rear with your left hand tight. Then take the chain off the rear sprocket with your right hand and pull it as tight as you can and place it back. This should align the master link just right.

·
Registered
374 Posts
From the looks of S4strati's help yourself page it looks like the sprocket has bolts and no C-clip. Like I said I was not sure. Personally I think changing the front sprocket with the chain on would be the hard way, but to each his own. :-/

S

·
0 Posts
it's really not that difficult to keep the chain in place. but since the sprocket's a different size, you'll need to adjust your chain tension, right? this means you may as well loosen the rear axle nuts and slide the rear wheel forward to give some more slack in the chain to facilitate the front sprocket's removal.
take note that the example pics on my site are for an s4... the whole process _should_ be the same for your 620 (or any other monster for that matter) but the orientation of the sprocket itelf may vary (which side the "hump" goes... you'll know what i mean from the pics)...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I just put a 14T on my 620 over the weekend. No reason to break or remove the chain at all. Remove the two screws on the lockplate, remove the clutch slave screws and slide the slave back a bit and then just slide the old sprocket off and the new one on. You'll need to readjust the chain (I moved the wheel back one adjustment hashmark and it was perfect). That's it. Took maybe 20 minutes start to finish. Not a drastic change in the bike's behavior, but anything you can do to get the bike out of its weak low end, the better you are, I think.

-mike

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put on the 14 Sprocket and there's no big change. There's a little improvement of the response and a bit more snap.

Next year it will be something more powerfull, maybe a S4R or a Yamaha R6.... I never rode on something different than Ducati, so I have to experience what it means taking a turn with 13500rpms ;)

Some say that I will be happier with a Ducati, other ones swear on Jap bikes... Have to see what my wallet says next year! One thing is for sure, the Ducatis have a soul and Jap bikes, well, I guess not

Cheers
Marc620ieDarkness

·
Registered
269 Posts
I put a 14t on my 620ie and took it off after 60 miles. It was too buzzy and I found myself in 5th gear all the time wishing for another gear. As to installation, I used the instructions on Strati's site. Thanks Strati!, good info.

M

·
0 Posts
Ok I know this is an old thread but I'm doing my front sprocket right now and I've hit a snag. When I pull the cover off, there is a large washer behind the 30mm nut, and 1 side of it is folded over (I'm assuming to prevent it front moving). WHat do I do? take a hammer and bend it back?? There has to be a better way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Only if you can find a better way to bend it back, that is!

You have to bend it back to unlock the nut. After re-installing, rebend it. Use a different part of the washer other than the original bend, though. Can you get past the clutch slave cylinder without removing it? Some have - I couldn't. Another 'no big deal' item.

You can doooo eeeet!

M

·
0 Posts
ok I think I"m good but this bugger is torqued on tight. It's not reverse threaded is it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts