Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a sprocket upgrade on my 2001 m750. Some people i have talked to suggest changing the front sprocket to 14 tooth instead of stock 15 and keeping the rear sprocket the same (40 i think).

What benifit will this provide?

Should i change rear and keep the front the same?

Will I need a new chain?

Will lighter aftermarket sprockets provide any benifit?

My friends ride liter bikes and they lose me in the straights, but i make up for it in the corners.

Just trying to get the most out of my bike. Buying bigger, unfortunately, is not an option for me.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Going up 2 teeth in the back is better than going down one in the front because it puts less stress on the chain. And it costs about the same as long as the bigger rear sprocket deosn't cause u to have to buy a new longer chain. But that fact doesnt bother me because i always switch out everything at once (both sprockets, chain) Everything lasts longer that way. Putting a wore out chain on a new sprocket (or visa versa) causes both items to wear out faster.

And as a side note. My last name is Klink and i have 750 Monster.......small world....or something.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I don't think that moving to a 14t in the front will really wear your chain appreciably more than a 15t if it's adjusted correctly. I put a 14 up front first to see how I liked the difference. I'm now considering changing out the back also, for just a little more low end torque. I'm going to wait until buying a new chain to change out the rear though, so probably another 6-7k before that happens...

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of difference did you get with the 14 tooth change....

higher revs, lower top end, better around town driving, more usable power....stuff like that

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I run about 4900 rpm in 6th at 80mph instead of 5400 rpm or so. It's easier to get the bike going at stop lights also. 1st gear is also more usable in parking lots also. This is for a 900 though but the results should be similar. Run a search as this is a much talked about subject.

·
Registered
74 Posts
same results with a 750, the bike is just a lot more manageable in tight areas like stop light to stop light and parking lots. the revs aren't much higher, not near enough to even concern yourself with this as stopping you from doing it unless you ride all day at a 110, like we all do of course. go with a 14t, it is cheaper and keep your chain clean and adjusted, that will make it last longer.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Going up 2 teeth in the back is better than going down one in the front because it puts less stress on the chain.
While thats clearly true, whether its actually _relevant_ is questionable... I suspect the amount of "extra stress" a 14 tooth front creates is completely insignificant... Keep in mind a 748 which produces close to twice the power of a Monster 750 runs the same size chain and a 14 tooth front sprocket as standard...

big ('99 M750 with 14 tooth front sprocket)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts