Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went up to a 43 tooth sprocket on a 2002 750 and I think the chain is too short. Any body else have a problem and or do I need to just get another chain and go up a tooth.

thx
jamie

·
Registered
374 Posts
Why do you think the chain is to short? Is it to tight or can you not get it back on? You may have to adjust the tire forward a little bit. Then again you may need to by a new chain, depends.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
When I went from a 39 to a 41 on the rear of my M900 everything fit just fine, and the bike only had about 1000 miles on it. The axle was closer to the front of the adjustment range, but I still had room. You put the chain onto the sprocket before putting in the axle, so the tire can slide forward far enough to easily get the chain over the sprocket.

With the original sprocket on the bike and your chain adjusted properly, look at how far forward you can slide the axle. If you have half an inch of travel available, you have more than enough room to go up two or three teeth on the rear.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You could just fit one tooth less at the gearbox. I know you can get a 13T because I was sent one by mistake when I requested a 14T for my S4.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Hmmm, that's a bummer. Most Superbikes and SSs tolerate adding two teeth to rear sprocket. Perhaps the issue is more of the big size of the smaller monsters' larger rear sprockets! In that going from 41 to 43 is much different than 37 to 39? ???

Sorry to hear about that ... doubly so if it was I that sold you the sprocket!

Chris

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:D :D
Not to make you feel bad but it was you --- all your fault- just joking. Bought the chain and chain tool today. I went the pcIII route and will be installing that tomorrow. by the way thanks for the help

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Hmmm, that's a bummer. Most Superbikes and SSs tolerate adding two teeth to rear sprocket. Perhaps the issue is more of the big size of the smaller monsters' larger rear sprockets! In that going from 41 to 43 is much different than 37 to 39? ???
Adding two teeth on any sprocket is going to move the axle by the exact same amount. Don't make me start writing math equations!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts