Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I add spools to my 2003 620 or should I be looking for a stand that I don't need spools...Pros or Cons--looking for an easy way to clean my chain!

gnew

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I think spools are a lot more confidence inspiring than just having that little angle bracket under the swingarm.

I've had spools added to two of my Ducs. On the M750 with the steel swingarm, a hole was drilled in the swingarm and a threaded bung welded in place.

On my SS with aluminum swingarm, a small aluminum block was drilled and tapped for 8mm and then welded to the bottom of the swingarm. (sorry, no pic yet)

--Fillmore

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
What the? How is that Rizoma arch attached to the swingarm? Look like you just placed it there for show. And what sort of finish is that on the swingarm itself? And finally, are those Macadamia nuts in the background?

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I think spools are a lot more confidence inspiring than just having that little angle bracket under the swingarm.

I've had spools added to two of my Ducs. On the M750 with the steel swingarm, a hole was drilled in the swingarm and a threaded bung welded in place.
--Fillmore
hehe
he said bung.

·
Registered
796 Posts
That looks like the crinkle texture powder coat, but you got me on that brace attachment ??? WTF

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I fell for that ruse the last time he posted that picture... :-/

Arch is just sitting on there...
I'm with DTM on the finish, and that sure does look like a can of Macadamia nuts to me.

Matter of fact, that looks like a pretty plush garage to me. ;D

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
No kiddin! Is that a coffee table it's sitting on? ;)

Rev, you know we're all just jealous that you get a whole room in the house to work on you Duc...

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I'm hijacking my own thread back ;D

Should I have my dealer put the spools on and if so, what would it cost me?

gnew

D

·
0 Posts
Okay, I'm hijacking my own thread back ;D

Should I have my dealer put the spools on and if so, what would it cost me?

gnew
Nice re-abduction.

I have absolutely no information to give you. But, I am going through the same problem. I am about to order a set of Handy Stands (both for $99) and I don't know if I need spool so or not.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I did the same thing to my 620 except I used a thread setter and riv nuts for the installation.
Before anyone says anything thats the chain that was on the bike when I bought it and I took the pics before I put the new one on.
Before

During

After

H

·
0 Posts
You think THAT chain looks bad, you should see mine! I like the idea of spools, especially with a slider.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I wouldnt bother putting the time and money into installing spools unless you do alot of tire changing and track days where you need a race stand that you can wheel the bike around on in the pits.
I have the Pitbull SS which has both spool attachment and the round rubber things. I use the rubber things for normal storage cause it is easy to scratch the swingarm when using the spool end. I use the spools for maintenance. I think you will be fine without spools.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts