·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[No message]

·
Registered
849 Posts
Don't do it with your Monster. The kickstand is mounted to the aluminum engine casing, a recipe for disaster (Chris Kelley has horror stories of broken casings).

On my R6, FZR or XR650 I used to just pull the bike towards me until I could balance it on the stand, than turn in the desired direction. Also a good way to spin the rear tire if you need to lube the chain without a stand, or to extend the forks when measuring for sag.

-R.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Alex don't do it. The kickstands on these things aren't the strongest. They're adequate for the job they do... that is support the bike, but they're not supposed to take the full weight of the bike. (Or our full weight and support the bike.) Check yours every now and then. They do bend and can break if overloaded. They're bolted into the bottom of the case and have been known to come loose. The thought of repairing / replacing a case for this gives me shivers.
All the best.
Simon.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Please ... It won't hurt anything.
Do it all you want!
Yup.
If it hurt the bike, my bike would be in pieces by now. Can't tell you how many times it's been done to mine.
Do it all you want.
Enjoy the spin 8)

G

·
I did it all the time. The side stand on my monster was easily three times the size of my buddy's R1. Just don't do it on black-top.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I've seen mechanics at both BCM and Eastern Cycle rock bikes back on the rear tire and rear stand to check head bearings. Not perhaps quite as stressful as turning the bike around the stand though.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I don't actually rotate the bike around, but I pull the front end off the ground using the kickstand regularly to check head bearings, cable & hose routing, etc...

That's 2 M10 bolts with about 30mm of thread in the case and most of the weight put on those bolts doing that manuver is in shear. I think that one would break the bolt holding the leg of the stand to the mount or bend the leg itself before it would damage the engine case.

I do the same manuver with my SS which is heavier than the Monster and has a single 10mm ALUMINUM bolt with about 10mm of thread holding the leg to the mount and haven't seen any harm done.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I see lots of people do it, but I don't. It just seems to add stress to an area that makes me nervous anyway. I once saw a kickstand on an M900 snap with predictable results.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My riding buddies and me refer to this manuever as the "kickstand breaker."

I'm sure for the most part you can do it time and time again, no prob. But that one time when the kickstand snaps or something else breaks, that is really going to suck, so I just do it the long way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2015 821 stripe I do it whenever I need to...but I make sure I have a puck under my stand to keep it from digging into concrete or blacktop...slow and steady wins the race with this manuver....do it at a crowded Starbucks for maximum effect.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I used to do it all the time till my Monster Cases developed a crack. Caught it early enough to have it welded without issue but i dont spin the bike that way anymore or sit on it with the sidestand down (before anyone asks if i am a fat C%&T, 80KG in my gear. ish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts