Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you wear a back (spine) protector?
If you do ...
Always?
Only on the race track?
Never?

·
Banned
551 Posts
I always wear my back protector in my Vanson jackey. My cordura jacket has some kind of ce one built in - but I don't think it is too special.

Feel safer with it - more substantial.

Didn't get the one for the Vanson until a friend of a friend had an accident on the way up to Alaska and potentially could never walk again due to a spinal injury.

Those Dainese ones look good - nice coverage etc- and would think about getting one of those.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Other than multidensity foam back pads in both my jackets.... nothing.

Been thinking about it, but haven't pulled the trigger.

The thought of being paraplegic after an accident is not a pretty one. I can't think of a single hobby I have cultivated that I could continue to pursue in that condition. Maybe have to take up stamp collecting :p

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I have a Dainese Backspace 2. I wear it when I'm sport riding, or at the track, and sometimes when I commute. It feels safer wearing it, but it's not particularly comfortable.

My Fieldsheer jacket has a CE back protector in it, and that's what I usually wear when I commute.

I also have a Dainese Zaino Hard backpack/back protector. I've been wearing that more and more when I commute or take short rides.

I'm considering trading the Dainese Backspace for a Bohn Cool Air Pro Racer in hopes of it being more comfortable.

--Fillmore

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Always. I've got a 4-panel back protector for my Vanson and one for my Aerostich jacket. The one for my Vanson is pretty big and makes it less comfortable to wear off the bike. On the other hand, I got used to it pretty fast and now when riding I feel positively naked without it.

Your call, but in my opinion there aren't big downsides to back protection and there are huge upsides.

G

·
Most of my jackets some type of back protector, but I think I'm going to purchase a Bohn w/ in the next few days. You probably won't realize what its actually worth until you actually put one into use (hopefully you'll never find out), but you'll be and feel safer just by having one. check out

www.bohnarmor.com

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
i got the dainese hard pack, which has a built in removeable back protector. the pack is pretty well made, just small. i take the protector off and use it by itself for longer rides when not commuting.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I just got some one piece leathers with a hard spine protector and speed hump that will actually help keep your head from whipping back and forth (It also looks kinda cool). When I commute I have a hard armoured jacket with about 3/4" of dense foam in the back.
If you do serious fast riding I really think full leathers are the way to go. Some people have a hard time getting over the price but that wont matter after a bad fall.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I have the Bohn Pro Racer in the Cool Air model or whatever it's called. I usually only wear it on the track, but it is comfortable enough to wear anytime - hmmm, maybe I should.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I just bought the Bohn airtex shirt with elbow, shoulder and back armor, That you can wear under any jacket. Just got it yesterday.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Are there any good CE spine protectors that are available for less than $100 bucks?

I am currently shopping around.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts

Dainese BAP-2. Wear it anytime I'm sport riding or at the track. Less so on commuting. Pretty comfy, but will wrinkle your shirt big time! ;D

Oh, a bonus is, if you have a bit of a gut this thing's like a big elastic cummerbund sucking it in for you. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts