Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any problems with leaking after installing the new housing? A very small amount of coolant leaks from the bottom. I took it off and removed all the left over silicone from the factory installation. It looks like there is a tight seal between the block and the new water pump housing. When the bike is cold, there is no leaking coolant. I temporarily used some RTV silicone to stop the leaking until a permanent solution was found. Was thinking more along the lines of taking it off again and running a bead of some gasket sealer on the housing and then installing it once again. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Interesting...

The parts catalogue for my '02 S4 shows a gasket between the water pump cover and the sidecase.
Parts catalogue for the S4RS does not show a gasket.

I'm pretty partial to Permatex for sealing that kind of stuff.

Whatever you use, you don't need a lot on there, pretty much just like really wet fingerprints.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
You didn't use any gasket compound when you installed the new cover?
Does the SM part have an O-ring?

If you reseal clean the surfaces of debrie then wipe with denatured alcohol before applying sealant/compound to insure the surface isn't contaminated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My technician said there was no gasket in the parts book for the stock piece and since Speedymoto didn't send a new one, I sort of thought it wasn't needed. So your telling me to just dab it all over the housing and then install? I will try that tomorrow and will let you know how it worked. Thanks Everyone!

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Remember if it only leaked slightly with no gasket you need next to nothing to seal it.

A bead of silicone about 1.5mm positioned towards the perimeter from the centerline of the suface should be more than enough. What you don't want is excess silicone squeezing into the water pump impeller chamber.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I purchased a couple of different sealers to fix this problem. After talking with all you guys, I'm just going to put a very small amount on the outer side of the lower half and wipe off the excess. Thanks for all your advice!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it all sealed up and no leaks! Thanks much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts