Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Monster fans,

I'm the owner of a 2013 Monster 696 ABS, and my speedo + odometer are now completely out of whack after I upgraded the stock ECU with the official Ducati DP ECU (part number 96521610B - It actually says 696 ABS on it!), along with the high flow filter and Termi carbon slip-ons.. The complete Ducati performance kit was second-hand and in excellent overall shape. The slip-ons looked like new, and so did the rest.

I got shocked the first time I took the bike out. The speedometer displayed an insanely high speed, like +297 km/h for example, for a few seconds, and then it went blank... worse even, the odometer added kilometers to the bike like never before. Once, I rode the bike to the end of the street, probably ~ 100 meters, and the odometer increased by 4 km! Huh? Note: Other than that, the bike runs absolutely fine. I found nothing else unusual. On the dash, I can clearly see "696 Racing" scrolling when I turn the ignition on. The bike does not pop and is smooth to ride. You can clearly tell the difference.

How do I know if the DP ECU is the culprit? Well, it's simple: The speedometer and odometer work absolutely fine after I re-install the original stock ECU.

I found from an old post a very similar problem: desmoworks/houston superbike's ECUs, but in my case I know the ECU is the correct ECU for my bike, so I'm a bit lost here...
Is it possible the previous owner lied to me and re-mapped this ECU for a non-ABS model? It basically could have gone like this: He purchased the ABS model, found out his bike was the non-ABS one, and then re-flashed it to make it work. He said he bought it and got the whole kit installed by his Ducati dealership. He was also hesitant when I asked him if he had an ABS or non-ABS model.

Any thoughts / ideas? Any one else who may have come across a similar problem?

Thanks,
Emmanuel

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - XT250
214 Posts
Is the dash ABS light on when you turn the ignition?
If it does then it is an ABS enabled ECU.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for pitching in.

Yes, the ABS light goes on when I turn the ignition. The dashboard also displays "RACING" scrolling. The ECU itself is (or was) the correct one for my bike. I did a lot of research, also asked my Ducati dealer, and everything checks out.
So why then are the speedometer and odometer misbehaving? Again, to the risk of repeating myself: Everything is back to normal once I put the original ECU back in.
Dumb question: Could it be that speed and mileage are on purpose disabled on Racing ECU's (because they are meant for the track)?

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - XT250
214 Posts
Dumb question: Could it be that speed and mileage are on purpose disabled on Racing ECU's (because they are meant for the track)?
Definitely not. Odometer and speed sensor are never deactivated even on Racing ECU.
The odometer is in the dash. A reflash can deactivate the immobiliser but that's about it.

Thinking some more, the ABS light on after ignition mean that the dash is ABS-aware, not necessarily the ECU.
If your ECU is ABS compatible too you should have the option in the menu to deactivate it.

It's a strange problem. All I can think of is that ABS and non-ABS ECU have the speed sensor signal coming on a different pin. Comparing the wiring diagram of both would yield the answer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your "new ECU" is at fault it is not an ABS unit anymore. I had the very same issue on an ST3S ABS some time back the DP ECU I sourced (advertised and numbered correctly for ABS bike) was incorrectly flashed and at 40 kmph my speedo was reading 295 kmph anything over 40 and it went to dashes, unit reflashed with correct map and it was perfect. The ABS model takes it speed sense from the phonic wheel (ABS ring) which creates around 7.5 times the pulses generated on non ABS bike hence the speed discrepancy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your "new ECU" is at fault it is not an ABS unit anymore. I had the very same issue on an ST3S ABS some time back the DP ECU I sourced (advertised and numbered correctly for ABS bike) was incorrectly flashed and at 40 kmph my speedo was reading 295 kmph anything over 40 and it went to dashes, unit reflashed with correct map and it was perfect. The ABS model takes it speed sense from the phonic wheel (ABS ring) which creates around 7.5 times the pulses generated on non ABS bike hence the speed discrepancy.
Thanks for confirming. This is the second time I'm being told that, and your detailed explanation makes total sense. I'm going to get this new ECU reflashed then. I will keep everyone posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts