Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just wondering if this is expected or not. I've been noticing my 696's speedometer is generally off inaccurate mph reading the faster I go. An example I'm going 60mph according to the speedometer yet by gps speed and co-riders actually tell me I'm going 54mph. Today I did some more tests and found when it says I'm going 70 I'm actually going 62 and when it says I'm going 80 I'm actually going 70. The same applies at lower speeds at 50 I'm actually going 46 and at 40 I'm going 38. Anyone else have this issue with their speedometer on their 696 and it giving off readings per 10 mph speed tier? Or do I just need a new speedometer cable?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well, I can only quote from an old thread from 2009, seems it is 'normal' for the reading to be on the high side. Federal regulations forbid a vehicle speedo to read below actual speed. Therefore
the computer allows for variation, ie. changing tyre profile, tyre wear, etc. It takes actual speed, then adds 8% to the read speed.
The 696 manual does, in fact, state this. It's on page 19 of the 2009 Monster 696 English manual.
Changing the cable will do nothing.
It may even save you a speeding ticket...well maybe.

Both the 696 and the 1100 have the same speedometer hardware. In the 1100 manual it specifically states:

“Speed” indicator
This function enables display of the motorcycle speed.
The dashboard receives actual speed value (expressed in km/h) from the control unit and displays the value increased by 8%.

So the displayed value is 8% higher than actual. That would mean your real speed is 7.4% below indicated. So your actual speeds versus indicated are:

Indicated = Actual
25 = 23
55 = 50.9
65 = 60.2
80 = 74
100 = 92.6
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi All,

Just wondering if this is expected or not. I've been noticing my 696's speedometer is generally off inaccurate mph reading the faster I go. An example I'm going 60mph according to the speedometer yet by gps speed and co-riders actually tell me I'm going 54mph. Today I did some more tests and found when it says I'm going 70 I'm actually going 62 and when it says I'm going 80 I'm actually going 70. The same applies at lower speeds at 50 I'm actually going 46 and at 40 I'm going 38. Anyone else have this issue with their speedometer on their 696 and it giving off readings per 10 mph speed tier? Or do I just need a new speedometer cable?
I have a 2009 monster 1100. Same issue with the speedometer. I bought and installed (plug and play) a SpeedoDRD. Your key in a reduction factor of point 926. How to is explained in the instructions. That way when you are doing 100 miles an hour It will indicate 100 and not 108. It saves doing math in your head while you’re driving. But be aware that it also reduces your odometer reading by the same amount.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine is 5mph high at 70 mph (actual speed 65 mph). Kind of annoying to be off that much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts