Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 2000 miles on my bike, and I have always noticed that I seem to be passing everyone, even though I am only going about 5 mph over...
Took about 200 mile ride today, and let my wife set the pace. I noticed that when she was going about 50, my speedo was at 35! When she was going about 35, my speedo was at 20...

Is this common? is it easy for the dealer to fix? My other riding partners never complain, but maybe they are used to going 20-40 mph over the speed limit.

V

·
0 Posts
;D

Sounds like your wife's speedo is showing Km/h:

50 km/h ~ 35 mph
35 km/h ~ 20 mph

:)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought of that.. but I still think my monster is the one that is off. Gonna have my wife drive the car, and use that to measure it...

V

·
0 Posts
I always think mine is off . but it seems I'm going 70 in a 55 and everyone is still passing me....Maybe its just these crazy Memphis drivers.....VTM

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a monster600 as a first bike, the speedo was off, resulting in a blow engine after 7000miles!! On the 750 I am looking to add a tacho!

·
Registered
366 Posts
You're probably right. Most speedos (cars and bikes) read 8 -15% high. My M1000S is about 10% high. An easy fix is to get a bicycle computer. Costs $20-$30 USD, is easy to install and calibrate, and most are good up to 300kph.

I thought of that.. but I still think my monster is the one that is off. Gonna have my wife drive the car, and use that to measure it...

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just for closure...

I had my wife take the g35 out and monitor my speed.. I am always about 18 mph under, even, across the board.

Dont know why I did not notice this before, but when sitting still, it does not register zero... the needle is actually pointing down in the digital odometer readout... so it looks like the speedo is actually just not offset correctly.

Called the dealer, they ordered a whole new speedo, cover it under warranty...

Although, I should have just keep it the way it is.. that way, when I get pulled over for speeding, I could just get a lawyer to plead "equipment failure" (a term used in the south to normally denote that you have paid off the judge).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts