Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Speedometer inop...

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  hammer 
Sometimes questions don't get quick answers because the topic is unclear, or the problem isn't worded carefully enough so that the problem can be understood, or it's been covered dozens of times already, or it's just a boring subject. One or more of these things apply in this case. ;)

The speedometer drive for a 94 Monster is pretty simple. There is a gear at the hub of the front wheel that spins, a cable that goes into that and runs up to the speedometer, then the speedometer itself. You need to check each of those to see which one isn't working.

Since my front wheel just happens to be off of the bike, in my garage, I had a look at the speedometer drive. It has a plastic ring that spins at the wheel rotation speed that turns a smaller gear that spins the cable. If that's what isn't working, you need to remove the front wheel to replace it. If you need directions on how to get the front wheel off, I posted instructions a little over a week ago on how to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.