Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know how to correct the Speedo on a S4R?
My GPS says that the Speedo is about 4% high (actually the best of any bike I

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just to make sure I understand... I can change my rear sprocket ('02 Monster 750) without making my speedo more incorrect than it already is?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the speedo is counting rear wheel rev's, it's the only motorcycle I've ever seen that does.. every other one is hooked into the front wheel.
But how do they tell how fast their wheelies are??

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
But how do they tell how fast their wheelies are??
::) ::)

Too good, actually many folks hook up bicycle computers (speedo's) that can you can dial in correction factor (tell it the rolling diameter of tire) and can give you avg. speed (how else are you gonna tell how fast you really rode the 10 miles of twisties), and lots more.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Are you saying were lying?? :)

They used to run off the front. My '96 ran the speedo drive off the front wheel. My '02 reads off the rear.
My bad,, No never ment to accuse anyone of lying.. :-[ sorry :-[

First time I've seen a MC speedo not run off a cable driven by front wheel

On my Cobra, the speedo signal is also electronic. when I put new diff. gears in, the correction factor is done by an external, aftermarket box. So the ? is, is anyone builing the same sort of box for the Duc? or is it worth it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
First time I've seen a MC speedo not run off a cable driven by front wheel

On my Cobra, the speedo signal is also electronic. when I put new diff. gears in, the correction factor is done by an external, aftermarket box. So the ? is, is anyone builing the same sort of box for the Duc? or is it worth it?
No need; the speedo signal on the newer Duc actually measures the RPM of the wheel (counts sprocket bolts passing by, IIRC), so the only thing that will affect its accuracy is the diameter of the rear wheel/tire. Well, that and of course whether or not the GOSH DARN GAUGE CLUSTER IS WORKING :)

I'm a little surprised that on your car, they went to the trouble of using an electronic speedo, and then didn't read the signal off of a halfshaft - always seemed to me like one of the best reasons to go electronic was that you could then use the same speedo regardless of diff ratio...

My old BMW bike, by the way, gets its speedo drive off of the transmission output shaft, just like an old car - as one more example of a bike that doesn't read off of the front wheel.

M.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts