Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed my speedo is no longer working... I haven't touched anything up front either, or else I would blame myself. Only 3500 miles on my '00 900, too.... any suggestions on how to proceed?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I have zero FHE on Ducati mechanical cable drive speedos, but FWIW:

Perhaps the ringnut has come loose on the bottom of the speedo, and the cable wire has disengaged from the speedo input hub.

If that was OK, I'd unscrew the ringnut and pull the cable away from the speedo, and turn the front wheel to see if the cable wire is turning.

If it's turning, your speedo may have given up.

If it's not turning, it may be disengaged at the wheel, broken, or the drive gear mechanism in the wheel may be broken.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dog, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Hope the speedo isn't shot... cringing at the thought of what that might run me. How do they handle the mileage when the speedo needs replacement? Anyone know?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
You get a new speedo with zero miles, and the dealer can't (legally) change it's mileage to match your old one. Some paperwork may need to be sent to the Department of Motor Vehicles (or whatever you have in NJ).
In the past, some of the more 'enterprising' used car dealers would 'clock' odometers to a lower mileage to get a better price. Law Enforcement was not amused......

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it turns out the cable wire is snapped just below where it enters the speedo. All things considered, I guess that's good... just need to replace the wire. I guess I have to go to a dealer for this or look for one on ebay.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
You may be able to get another wire from a speedometer shop. No
FHE here, bit I've heard folks talk about doing that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts