Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, here's a tough one.... We have just taken in a 1997 M900 with a ton of mods but we are struggling with coming up with a fair re sale value... Here's a list of some of the mods.... please feel free to give us some feedback.
1997 M900 - yellow
*1,850 original miles
*Carbon 3 spoke Dymag wheels
*Beringer full floating rotors
*Beringer 6 piston calipers
*Brembo Radial clutch and brake pumps
*41mm Keihin's
*944cc
*not sure about additional motor work ??
*Corbin Seat
*Road Racing Tach kit
*Hyperpro steering damper
*Carbon short tail (forget brand, out of Texas originally)
*carbon belt covers
*DP rear sets
*Acerbis High mount carbon slip on's (yes Acerbis)
*Road Racing color matched rear hugger
*Black Fren Tubo brake and clutch hoses
*Renthal rear Sprocket
*520 DID ERV2 chain
*Race Tech re-valved forks
*Stock rear shock (may have been re-valved)

This bike has been in a private collection that has been stored for over 8 years. We just installed new belts, all fluids, flushed tank and new fuel filter.. The only visible flaw we can find is the rear rotor looks like it got very hot at one time and is partially scored, rear m/cyl was too close to pipes and boiled the brake fluid, all has been remedied except disc was not replaced.. Motor was built by Mark Sutton (DucShop - Atlanta) when he lived here is the Pacific NW..

So what the consensus ?? TIA

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
okay....Dave...I know you know Duc's and what not....my one fear on putting any kind of number on that is that the bike sat for 8 years....you flushed everything and all...and did a basic 12K to it I am guessing...is that if and when it starts to get used on any kind of regular or semi regular basis...stuff starts breaking because items haven't been used to any kind of use at all and have been sitting in a questionable state of stasis...that paired with the lack of knowledge of exactly what was done internally or what internal parts were used (like Pistoli versus Wiseco versus some other possibility and yada yada yada)...it just makes for a big finacial gamble to put a fair number to both you and a purchaser so that no one gets a sour feeling in their mouth if and when something should or could happen...just due to circumstance and questionability of the unknown....and I know you to be a reputable businessman in general and caring of what you do...so I know you mean to have the best intentions with this endevour/transaction.

I hope for your sake you don't have alot of money in this bike (I assume you took it in on a trade) and can afford some leeway...with some of the bits on it normally....I would assume in the $7K range would be easy to ask....but under the circumstances....I personally would be hesitant to be coming off of anything above $4500 just because I would want a cushion of money available to me in case of a catostrophic circumstance to be able to jump in and get into it without thinking about cost of repair versus value versus possible problem....but that is just me.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I've been doing a lot of bike shopping recently. I've been looking at M1000s and Multistradas, but I currently have a carbed 750 with a custom tank (soon to be for sale), so I've also looked at a lot of carbed 900s with the idea that I could move my tank to a new bike.

I would generally agree with what zooom said, but his high-end price may be a bit too high. It's now very possible to get an 03-04 M1000 for under $7K and I've even seen used S2R 1000s go for under $8K with very low miles, decent mods and remaining warranty. This has made 900 prices take a big hit. Also, there seems to be some psychology for a bike from the 90s. 1999 and older bikes seem to take a hit even if they are actually a better deal than a 2000+. I'd say a person who was confident in the bike and really liked the specific mods would be willing to pay close to $6K, but no more. It looks like I'm getting a 2004 Multistrada, but if I were looking at carbed 900s still, I think I'd top out at around $4000-4500 for the same reasons zooom mentioned. I'd say list it for $5500/best offer and be ready to deal. If it hasn't sold by March, drop it to $4999/bo. Of course I'm not in the MC business and this is just my 2 cents, so get as much input as you can. There are plenty of people here with more insight than me. At any rate, good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
potomacduc said:
I would generally agree with what zooom said, but his high-end price may be a bit too high.
the only reason I said as high as I did...is because of these particular mods which I know aren't cheap and do retain a great amount of value....even in just parting the bike alone...

*Carbon 3 spoke Dymag wheels
*Beringer full floating rotors
*Beringer 6 piston calipers
*Brembo Radial clutch and brake pumps

hell Dave...maybe that is the answer....tear the bike down and part it out!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Guys, obviusly the market varies from place to place, we are thinking $7999 for a starting price. I will post when it sells

1 - 5 of 5 Posts