Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to see what plugs you guys are using who have done this upgrade.

I am currently running NGKs - DP9EA-9 gapped at .30.

I have an open air box and running stage 2 jetting as well, but when I check the plugs they look a little fouled, so I am considering going to a hotter plug maybe the DP8EA-9.

I have also seen confusing stats on other pages stating the gap size should be .24 on a 99 750. Anyone able to shed some light here? ???

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i have the stock coils, but the right plug for your bike is theDP8. the purpose of the dyna coils is to allow for the wider gap.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I have the same mods with you and used the DPR9EA-9 which were fouled often .I changed to DPR8EIX-9 Iridium and things became much better .

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
D8EA works fine, too. Bonus that it doesn't have a resistor. I would use .9mm~1.0mm gap. I have some ND plugs that are also resistor-less and platinum. I need to add those to my catalog.

I kind of do not like the iridium plugs, as they all have resistors. Our bikes (injected or crabbed alike) do not need resistors in the plugs. I also do not like NGK's iridium as the electrode is shrouded. The ND iridium plug is much better in this regard.

:) Chris

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Are there any advantages to upgrading the ignition wires, spark plugs, etc. on a fuel injected bike?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
With coils like you have, I would run a .040" - .045" plug gap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MostroRodento - The octane I am using is 87 gas. Should I move up a notch?

Norm - The gap size you specified, would that be for the D9s or the hotter plugs the D8s?

I recently ordered 4 sets of each plugs to give them a test run. I shall see how it goes. Thanks for all the input. ;D

G

·
the 8 series plugs are recommended for the 750 and 900. the 600 and water cooled engines run 9 series. the std spec is 0.6mm or .024". the carb bikes don't seem to like any bigger gaps in cold weather, but the injected bikes could easily go 0.8 i'd expect. i run my 851 at .9 ish.

i did try dynoing my sport 1100i guzzi with different gaps - .024 to 0.40 - and it make absolutely no difference. no it can't be a bad thing.

i fitted some dynas to the 600m last week. only ridden it a couple of times, but it does seem a touch smoother down low. same plugs. hadn't thought of opening the gap. one of the std coils died - first one i've seen in 10 years of working on them! so i had to get it running and had the dynas at hand. not neat, but running. i'll get around to making nicer never.

hadn't thought of non resistors either. no side effects?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I run the NGK DP8evx-9 with no problems. Chris K used to sell them at www.ca-cycleworks.com. Put them on with the Dynas and opened the gap a wee bit. No stumbles and fires up pretty easily (for a FCR equipped bike in the cold northeast).

G

·
Stay with the 87 octane. If you are getting carbon'd or fouling with 87 octane, it will only tend to get worse with higher octane.

Just wanted to make certain you weren't running a higher octane that wasn't burning off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts