Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've got a question for the S4 owners out there: what plugs do you use in your bike? Did you stick with the really expensive $26.00 champions, or did you find a suitable replacement that works just as good?

I found some NGK plugs that are platinum coated. . . but I'm not sure if the original champs are platinum or iridium.

Thanks in advance fellas.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
This topic came up at least once before, but I don't remember what the solution was....:-/

I'm still on the original plugs at about 10k miles.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
look for my post. I bought a box of NGKs. I toss them like a cheap woman :)

really cheap i believe lesss than $2 per plug. Works great, no issues.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to clean plus, I use a wire brush on a wheel. clamp hte spark plug on a vise, then use a wire brush (drill adaptor is fine). I have a large gringer wheel with a wire brush on one side. cleans it right up :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can also use electrical contact cleaner. Just be sure the plugs are dry before you reinsert them.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wd-40 and a wire brush works well. Contact cleaner if your feeling froggy.

in the long run its almost cheaper to just buy new plugs!

I got ngk coppers from the h*nda dealer for more than i wanted to spend. This irks me since NO single auto parts dealer in my area carried ANY ducati compatible plug.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sparkplug.com I'm telling you......... just buy a box, and you have a life time supply. For under $3 a plug, you can;t go wrong

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the wire wheel method is allegedly very bad. puts a coating of metal over the plug and causes misfires. got told that very early on, a "never do".

i usually just use some sort of alcohol cleaner or carb clearner and a rag. get the soot off them and they're fine.
you can bead blast them, but you usually get a little piece or two of media stuck down the side of the electrode to fall out later.

we run ngk dcpr9evx. physically the same as the champion. run at 0.8mm or so gap. should be a lot cheaper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts