Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people.... can u tell me if i need a specific ducati plug key for my bike or if it is just a general socket size...? i have a M reg monster 600..... ta x :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok... now can someone tell me what size that is in mm....... cant seem to find a conversion table....! :mad:

·
Registered
969 Posts
jules555 said:
ok... now can someone tell me what size that is in mm....... cant seem to find a conversion table....! :mad:
Multiply inches by 25.4 = millimeters

5/8" = 0.625 (numerator divided by denominator - 5 divided by 8 = 0.625)

0.625 X 25.4 = 15.875

So a 16 mm might do it?

Why aren't you able to get inch sockets where you are at? A spark plug socket is different from a regular deep socket anyway. A sparkplug socket is 6 point not 12, usually has a rubber-like insert so that the plug will not fall out of the socket and they also usually have six flats (like a regular nut) to be able to use an open or closed end wrench on the socket when a rachet wrench just won't get there

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks... not very mechanically minded so just wanted to know what to ask for when i get to shop.... and make sure i get the right one....dont want to get home and find it doesnt bloody fit grrr!

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
16 mm for Champion plugs.
18 mm for NGK.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks.... just been told by ducati in glasgow that they dont sell any tools at all..... and that you can only get plug keys in three sizes, the biggest being 14mm...which of course is crap, when i told the parts manager that the official size was more like a 16mm he said that he always gets them off with a 12mm.......so much for the official dealers and so called ducati mechanics eh? is this usual for ducati dealers? dont think i will be going there again or trust them with my bike!!

so im looking for a 16 or 18mm socket or plug key.... am i better to get this from a bike shop or go to a general parts place like halfords or summit?? ???

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
1. The Ducati Glasgow BS is almost unbelievable! Ask them to measure the plugs
they sell for Ducs...
2. Do you have the original tools in the compartment of the seat?
If so, you already have a key!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No.. bought bike second hand and it was missing... ducati glasgow says that you dont get one in the tool kit..hmmmm! ta for all your help [thumbsup] have phoned halfords and they have both sizes at £4.99 each... so will pop up and get some :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts