Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a spare red key floating around, maybe one where the key part is bent, missing, worn, etc? As long as the chip part works, we are good to go. I would get a non chip key cut to do the physical working of the lock (i already have 1 black key from this lock set) and keep the red key close to the antennae for programming purposes.

I know it's a reach, but it would save me from having to buy a whole new lock/key set at the price of nearly $500.00 !

Thanks

Reid

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
I don't think you're going to find just anyone with an extra red key. They give out one red key and one code card, most people guard them with extreme prejudice.

Your best bet is to look for people who just crashed their Ducs... maybe if their bike is totalled you could convince them to "lose" their red key.

edit:
But - I'm pretty sure the red keys are uniquely programmed to the ecu, so I really doubt your plan would work anyway.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand how the immobilizers/ECU's work.

A new virgin ECU can be programmed to any red key. SO if by some RANDOM chance someone happened to have one, it could work out.

I'll keep my eyes out, but it's unlikely...

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
How do you plan on getting the existing system to recognize that key? ::)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New ECU and gauge cluster....I'm not clueless here.

If i could save from having to buy a complete lock set (i already have 2 black keys that fit my ignition/tank/seat locks) then i could use those two black keys and have a standard NON chip key cut to do the physical turning of the lock while i kept the red key next to the antenna so it could read the chip. Make sense?

Why the hostile attitude?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
What's wrong with the black keys that you have?

You say they fit the locks...

...why aren't the chips recognized by the ecu?

I don't have to use my red key to start my bike, I use the black key.

The red key is only necessary to program the ecu to recognize new black keys, right?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
hollowellreid said:
New ECU and gauge cluster....I'm not clueless here.

If i could save from having to buy a complete lock set (i already have 2 black keys that fit my ignition/tank/seat locks) then i could use those two black keys and have a standard NON chip key cut to do the physical turning of the lock while i kept the red key next to the antenna so it could read the chip. Make sense?

Why the hostile attitude?
I can loan you a red key, which you can use to program a chipped black key that you then epoxy to the antenna. Then you can send me my red key back.

Plan?

:)

Don't lose my red key or I'll sick the pirate monkey cult on you! >:D it's for my S2arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

;D

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think I remember reading on here from a reputable source that the red keys are no diffrent than the black keys.... that you can reprogram the ECU with a black key. Ducati just sends a red key out so you have a spare...

Don't hold me to this, I'm probably wrong.

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
a shop owner told me that running with the red key could burn something out (don't remember what) that a black key will not. then again this is from a shop i have not had a great experience with.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well here's the deal with the bike, from the beginning.

It's a salvage bike. The owner before me bought the bike with it's original gauge cluster, locks, ecu. But NO keys.

Not really knowing how the Immobilizer set worked, he bought a new lockset/ecu/black key from someone on ebay. Never got the RED key and also didn't get the gauges/immobilizer. If it had a matching gauge set it would run, or if it had a red key that matched the ecu I could program a new gauge cluster to that ECU. Of course I have neither. I do, however have a black chip key that fits all the locks on the bike.

As a result, my plan (being that I'm a cheap college kid, trying to get this darn thing running) was to buy a new ECU and gauge set (about $450 for the set) and find a red key to then program the black key that i have. I could also find another black key and use only the chip part while having an OLDER style (non chip) ducati key cut to match the black key i have to work the physical locks. As long as the chip is in the same vicinity of the key (on a keychain, for example) it would work

The lock/key set is nearly 500 bucks. What a joke.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy the parts, but I guess I was just looking for a cheaper solution. Then again, I guess having the red key is probably worth the extra 400 or so bucks down the road when it comes time to sell. Hope some of this makes sense....

So anyone have a spare black or red key?

And chris, if you're serious on that offer I just might have to take you up on it! I'd give you a nice deposit, of course..

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
i'd say this is a very unusual situation. being handed a red key and being told to keep it safe is not difficult.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Dragsterhund said:
I think I remember reading on here from a reputable source that the red keys are no diffrent than the black keys.... that you can reprogram the ECU with a black key. Ducati just sends a red key out so you have a spare...

Don't hold me to this, I'm probably wrong.
What I was told when I bought my monster 2 weeks ago is that you can re-code black keys with the red key but it doesn't work the other way around so pretty much if you lose the red key, or the card with the code on it, you're screwed.

·
Registered
524 Posts
OK,

I have a red key.

I totalled my 04 M1000 ::) so I might as well pass it on and get some karma points.

You can email me: vader (at) deathstar.stanford.edu

and we can set something up.

-tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts