Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am upgrading my S4...I have the DP ecu for the full system..45mm headers & Termi pipes (40mm for now)

The next natural step is to change the cams. I know for a fact that the 916 SPS cams will fit with a little mod. But would other model SPS cams as well? 748 SPS or 996 SPS?

Also found 888 SP4 race cams...the father to the 916...would these do as well?

Thanks

Nervous

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Nervous said:
Hello everyone!

I am upgrading my S4...I have the DP ecu for the full system..45mm headers & Termi pipes (40mm for now)

The next natural step is to change the cams. I know for a fact that the 916 SPS cams will fit with a little mod. But would other model SPS cams as well? 748 SPS or 996 SPS?

Also found 888 SP4 race cams...the father to the 916...would these do as well?

Thanks

Nervous
Depends on which ones they are. There are a few "race" cams that dont work well on the street. Meaning they dont offer a good low end ridability or idle quality.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Here's some very technical info from Doug Lofgren:
http://www.visi.com/~moperfserv/duc_cams.htm

From Brad at Moto One, info that's a little bit less technical in nature but lots of application data:
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/duccamspec.html

In general, as the duration and overlap get longer; low rpm power, 'rideability', idle quality and ease of starting will suffer.
The benefit comes in high rpm power, if your ports and valves can support the increased flow.

From the little that I've seen, the S4 engines seem pretty happy with the SPS cams.
But it would be better to get that info from someone who's got them fitted on their bike....
I'm not sure which SPS cams are in the usual DP kit, I'm assuming it's the 996SPS ones as shown on Brad's info.

A little more info on how the S4 likes the cams:
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/monsters4diff.html

<edited to remove underlining gone wild....>

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
The '93 888SPS cams are 'G' inlet and 'SP' exhaust. Later 916 SPs used that combo too.
The 748SPS inlet has the same lift as the 'G' but less duration (that's good) and the 'SP' exhaust.
The 916SPS and 996SPS are the same cams. They represent a more modern approach than the old school 'G'.
The mildest timing numbers that beget the good power numbers are much better for all around perofrmance.

Doug

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
i have the T1 sps cams in my 888,(916sps & 996sps) and they are great, i was tempted by sp4 cams but the T1 cams have close to std duration,+ 14 deg, i'm talking compared to std 916 strada not the short duration cams fitted to monsters, with 1mm more lift on both inlet and exhaust. these are a high acceleration lift cam and go from fully closed to fully open , and vice versa, a lot quicker than a strada cam. this gives characteristics that work very well on the street, below 6000 rpm it feels like a strada, above it and you get a real crest of power all the way to redline.
the "G" cam has the slowest opening rate of all 4 valve cams, inc. strada, with the longest duration, they make a lot of top end power when set up in the right heads but often don't make peak power until after the red line. this is not much good on the street.
also, the sp4 had a "G" inlet cam and an "A" exhaust cam, these are o.k but if you want a really hairy set of cams the hottest combos seem to be a "G" inlet and "G" exhaust, or, hotter still, a "431" inlet and "G" exhaust.
either of those combinations will require bigger valves, more compression, and a higher rev limit to get the best from them. the other consideration is the need for big revs, reliability and engine life become issues.
in short, if you want to feel like you're riding a cantankerous beast that bucks and snorts and offers a real kick in the pants from 8000 go for a combination of "G's". if you want a civilised reliable and very fast road bike go for the 996 sps cams, they really are that good.
oh and you will need bigger valves whichever choice you make.
cheers,
paul.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
the main issue with any of the old style 748/851/888/916sp cams is that they generally open the inlet quite a lot earlier but close it around the same point. so they have lots of lift at tdc inlet opening. fitting g inlets into most things will result in bent valves unless you retard them quite a bit, whereas the exhaust you need to advance. don't bother with any of them, especially on anything with more than 64mm stroke, they're a waste of time imo. unless you have a hankering for something retro.

916sps and 996sps same thing cams are the same thing and go straight in without piston to valve clearance issues and work very well. if you big valved it the 748r inlet would work well with the sps exhaust and similarly has no piston to valve clearance issues. big valves and these cams will make the same power as the earlier cams with more midrange and less rpm needed.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot guys! [thumbsup]

A lot of info for a layman but it seems Im gonna have to do my homework on cams...if I want the bike to run properly. I usually do more street-riding so assume that the SP4 will be a bit tedious.

My bike already has the DP ecu for the full system as I mentioned so the rev. is an extra 1000rpm. + the 45mm headers so I definitely require the SPS cams and from what I gather the 916SPS would be the perfect substitute

And with whatever cam I use do I definitely require bigger valves as loony888 has mentioned? :-\

...anyone have any spare 916 cams??? :)

Nervous

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Also take int o account, that if you do go forward with the engine work. Standard mappping may no longer be suitable. You will have to move to some sort of Fueling Enhancment (ie PCIII or the FIM unit)

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm...but isnt the full system DP ecu supposed to be already programmed for the cam? ( As the full system has spagetti headers, filter & SPS cams)

The cams are the only things Im missing at the moment...(before the ecu I had the PC 3usb and unfortunately the custom mapping done here in Istanbul/Turkey sucked! They are the 1 and only Dyno dealer here, my S4 was the first ever Ducati they did!)

Nervous

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Nervous said:
Hmm...but isnt the full system DP ecu supposed to be already programmed for the cam? ( As the full system has spagetti headers, filter & SPS cams)

The cams are the only things Im missing at the moment...(before the ecu I had the PC 3usb and unfortunately the custom mapping done here in Istanbul/Turkey sucked! They are the 1 and only Dyno dealer here, my S4 was the first ever Ducati they did!)

Nervous
It will probably work, but youd get your best results with the full custom remap.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Nervous said:
-----------------snip----------------
Nervous
There's two different kits that are listed in the DP catalog:

Kit Power - Full system (spaghetti) with cans, cut airbox lid, filter, and ECU.

Kit Race - Cams, full system (spaghetti) with cans, cut airbox lid, filter, and ECU.

There is no information as to ECU part numbers between the two, but I would expect that they're different.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kit Power - Full system (spaghetti) with cans, cut airbox lid, filter, and ECU.

Kit Race - Cams, full system (spaghetti) with cans, cut airbox lid, filter, and ECU.

There is no information as to ECU part numbers between the two, but I would expect that they're different.
[/quote]

Actually on speedzilla board I got the DP part numbers from "Jocke"

S4 DP ECU Part Numbers:

2001 ONLY

CENTRALINA KIT PLUS (slip-ons + open airbox)
96506100B

CENTRALINA KIT POWER (full system + open airbox)
96506200B

CENTRALINA KIT CORSE (cams + full system + open airbox)
96506300B.

----------------------------------------------------------------

2002 +

CENTRALINA KIT PLUS S4/02 (slip-ons + open airbox)
96508702B

CENTRALINA KIT POWER S4/02 (full system + open airbox)
96508802B

CENTRALINA KIT CORSE S4/02 (cams + full system + open airbox)
96508902B

...just cant remember if it was the 2001 or 2002...but will check bike tomorrow (should b 2001)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
So they are different ECU's.

Definitely make sure you get the right one as far as '01 or '02, as there are some basic wiring system differences between '01 and '02 S4.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts