Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how this sets up for the rest of you...my hubby does not ride and i feel like i'm the only woman in the world who has to beg their husband to get a bike! i'd love to ride with him at some point, but so long as i'm riding (he would never tell me what i can and can't do) i guess i can't complain.
julie

·
Registered
141 Posts
So even though the husband rides, he was not exactly enthusiastic about my learning to ride. It wasn't because he didn't think I could do it; it was because he was worried about me because he knows it can be difficult to be a beginner on a bike. I pushed, signed up for the MSF, and now it's this really great thing that we can do together. So I would say just go for it -- maybe you'll inspire him! [clap]

·
Registered
150 Posts
Let me think, do I have anything to contribute?
I didn't learn to ride until after my divorce, and my bf is the one who took me on my first ride. I'm still dating him, so I haven't had the opportunity to date (much less marry!) someone who doesn't ride. ;)
My ex would have never "let" me ride, and he's hugely disapproving now (like I care).

Are you experienced enough to take him pillion? Would he even consider it? Once he tries it in the back seat, he might start to feel differently.

And, if not, there's nothing wrong with doing your own thing!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i'm not sure the pillion thing would go over to big with him, ;) but i'm trying to convince him to get his permit. then i'll ride on the back for short little trips to the beach or something (we live 10 minutes away). i'd probably go crazy back there, but it would be something anyway. i have plenty of opportunity to ride this time of the year so i don't mind giving up the helm for a bit. yeah, i'm 40, been riding for 4 years and married for 14 so there's no telling each other what to do...just hoping he'd catch the bug. well here's to hoping! ;D

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
My husband always disliked motorcycles. I have always loved them, so last year I decided it was time to learn how to ride. He surprised me by buying my Monster for me. After I had ridden with my dad and brother for a few months, he decided that he would like to ride, so he bought a motorcycle and now we can ride together. He doesn't ride as much as I do, but we do have fun together. Your husband might come around.

Sarah

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
I'd never pressure anyone into riding regardless of their relationship with me. If it were a friend, and they got hurt as a result of taking up motorcycles, I'd never be able to forgive myself. Why would I do anything differently with the most important person in my life?

Ride and enjoy it. Perhaps he'll see the example you set and come around. If not, then consider yourself lucky--you get to spend twice as much money on your bike and trackdays! errrr....maybe that's just me. [laugh]

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mostrobelle said:
I'd never pressure anyone into riding regardless of their relationship with me. If it were a friend, and they got hurt as a result of taking up motorcycles, I'd never be able to forgive myself. Why would I do anything differently with the most important person in my life?
MB is absolutely right! I would offer, leave the door open, but you don't want someone to be riding unless they really want to be riding. Too risky.

That said, don't let that stop you from talking (a LOT) about how much fun it is!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heh hehhhh...yeah that's what he says..we don't need two people in the family with this expensive habit. i'm definitely not pressuring him about it, so long as i can ride when and how often i like which is more or less the case except for when the reponsibility of being a mom comes first. just hoping down the line he considers it and was just wondering what it's like for other people out there.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
My husband is not interested in riding, he did some dirt bike riding as a kid...also saw a friend crash on a street bike when he was young. So you can imagine he was not thrilled at my wanting to ride - but similar to al vento - I'm 43 (just picked up riding this summer) and we've been married for 16 years (together for 26 years) - definitely no telling each other what to do. In fact the more he protested the bike, the more I'd want to do it...so he went with it.

He's constantly worried about me, yet he also encourages me to go out riding. [cheeky]

Our other passion is cars....so he does the cars, and I have a very good friend who's bike-less at the moment, he's hoping to get a bike next year...and we bet hubby won't be far behind in wanting to learn to ride...but I think he's hesitant because this is my thing [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
My husband and I ride together as much as possible. [thumbsup] I rode on the back of his for a year and then just stopped one day and said, "Enough, I want my own."
He was great about it. Kids are moving on/out, so the cash is there to get crazy, and it gets damn expensive when it comes to track days, tires, maintenance, new tools, new CF, new suspension....

oh brutha! ;D

He also rides a Kawi 450 dirtbike (I just watch, after getting hit by a car in Nov while riding my Duc, I realized "Hell NO, my body can't take dirtbike abuse)
I'm the official weekend photographer!

We are ALL bikes around here. One truck we share when it rains like hell. Otherwise we are always commuting on the bikes.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah larakat i read about your crash with the crazy lady...how are you doing? your husband sounds like a good guy...getting your bike back together so quickly and all. i'm hoping the nyc mc show will start to tickle my husband's fancy a bit...he might come around albeit slowly!
julie

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
damn industrial girl...i wanted to go on sunday too, but he is heading to colorado for a bike fit seminar...bicycles that is...so looks like we are going to head in on friday. i would have loved to hook up with you guys...at any rate, hopefully i'll getting my hubby sitting on a few to figure out what type of bike he likes...he is weakening...i can tell! >:D ;D

·
Registered
473 Posts
Eh. I got "divorced" over my bike -- the boyfriend of 10 years hated the fact that I was better at it than he was, that he was scared of riding in traffic in the nation's capital area, and that I got all the attention being not only the girl with the motorcycle, but the girl with the DUCATI motorcycle and who works in a DUCATI shop. *shrugs*

Now I got me a man who rides, has three totally different kinds of bikes, and says one of the sexiest things he's ever seen is me taking a corner with my hair flying out my helmet, and when I was thinking about selling my bike, he ponied up money so I wouldn't have to. [thumbsup] It could be love!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cookie said:
and says one of the sexiest things he's ever seen is me taking a corner with my hair flying out my helmet, and when I was thinking about selling my bike, he ponied up money so I wouldn't have to. [thumbsup] It could be love!
...and that is one of the sexiest things a man could say or do in my book!!! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
285 Posts
My hubby rides has done for as long as I have known him and thats 20 years married and 3 going out together. I always went on the back until 2 years ago, and decided to get a bike and a licence myself. He does not ride as much as I would like him too, which in turn means I don't ride much either. I do go for the occasional ride by myself but it's not as much fun as going together. I find if I go by myself I keep thinking where will I go and so on..........no one to have a coffee with when you stop, and no one to chat to about the road you have just ridden etc. He does not like me going on my own purely motivated by care and concern though :). Yeh it's a bit of hard one (your question) I get a bit down in the dumps when its a great day and you have worked all week and all you want to do is maybe go down the street and have a coffee somewhere on your bike and they are just not interested. I feel for you al vento.

Egas [thumbsup]

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well the good news is that i got him sitting on some bikes at the mc show in NY and kind of have a sense of what he might like to ride so i'm scouring the used bike sections all over the internet. when the right deal comes along i might just have to grab something...would love to ride with him, but just get the feeling that he won't catch the spark the way i did and that's ok. have to say thru mc'ing i have met more new people that i would never have otherwise met and that is really great! soooo my work on him, slowly but surely, continues... ;)

julie

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I will never date anyone who doesn't ride. Period. Between work and riding, there isn't much else going on in my life that grips me. I don't want to ask for permission to do anything, and while I appreciate the concern, should I be any less concerned about a SO's riding? The guy I'm dating now rides and is in some ways eager to get me out on the track, but at the same time, I know deep down he's dreading it. Well, I got my track bike this weekend, so it's only a matter of time! We'll be riding in different groups at least for a little bit, so he won't have to be worrying about me while he's riding.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a kind of amusing story about this. Recently my ex-boyfriend bought a bike (the second one he's owned, an old Honda SilverWing), which was good, because he desperately needed transportation. But then, he was short on cash to pay for the insurance, so I agreed to loan it to him. I paid the insurance agent directly with a credit card over the phone, and while waiting for the transaction to process, he was chatting with me. He tells me that he bets this generous gesture was sure to get me lots of free motorcycle rides! I'm afraid I had to burst his bubble of fantasy by informing him that not only did I have two bikes of my own, but it was I who taught the ex to ride.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts