Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 07 S2R1K at the beginning of December and it is having starting issues. Basically, the battery looses too much charge to start the bike after about 48hrs. I don't really think this is temperature thing since the bike is in a heated room when at home. I have had to jump the bike (oh yes it can be done, and unfortunately I'm becoming rather proficient at it) and from that point on, the bike will have no trouble starting unless I go a day or two without riding it. When I take the bike out, the trips are generally not short and I would think they are more than sufficient to charge the battery -- after a full day of riding the battery measures appx 12.40v. So the question I pose to you all is - Do you think I have a weak/faulty battery or does the bike have excess current draw when it is off? If the second, I will attempt to measure the current if someone can provide me with a figure to compare it against.

I do realize that if I just throw a battery tender on it, I will not have this problem. I would prefer to find out what is actually wrong here before I do anything to band-aid it though.

I realize everyone here must be tired of battery/charging questions (judging by the quantity on the front page) but I could not find anything relative to this situation with a search. Please help me out guys/gals.

·
Registered
337 Posts
You either have a faulty charging system (no charging while running) or a voltage leak at rest. You can check both out with the help of a good digital multimeter.

Output Test (Charging System): Start engine and warm to normal operating temperature. Allow engine to idle and connect multimeter set at 0-20 volts across the terminals of the battery (positive to positive, negative to negative). Slowly increase engine speed to 3000rpm and note the reading, which should be 13.5 to 15.5 volts. If the voltage is below this it will be necessary to check the alternator and regulator. My best advice here is to check the little plastic junction that connects to the two. I had that fry on me one time.

Leakage test: Turn ignition switch OFF and disconnect the negative terminal lead from the battery. Set the multimeter to mA (milli Amps) and connect the negative probe to the negative terminal, and the positive probe to the negative lead (note the difference from above -- as others noted, this is connected IN SERIES, so you are effectively closing the circuit). With the meter connected like this, the reading should not exceed .1mA. If it does, you have a short somewhere in the system that is drawing current at rest.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris & nomad -
Thanks for the help. I'll follow the t-shooting chart tomorrow when I take it out for a ride. It should start on its own tomorrow so I think the battery is getting charged. I'll check the current draw when if the voltage check doesn't reveal any problems, considering that the voltage is easier to check. The .1mA figure is the other thing I wanted to know. I'd have figured it would run a few mA, but I guess it doesn't suprise me that it is so low.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.