Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me a kick only Monster wouldn't rule so very hard. Probably only work on the carbies but still. Yeah, they suck when things aren't working right. But, when its right, d**n it feels good to boot an engine to life. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,266 Posts
You need to try to kickstart an old 860 then. Youd be lovin the electric start .
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
838 Posts
Its not as glamorous as it looks... Though there was something cool about kickstarting my CB550 when it was warmed up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
969 Posts
I like the idea...except for the "only" part. I'd rather still have the electric foot and the kick start option as well.

I also think that the headlight should not come on until the bike engine is running. I'm no electrical engineer...but how hard would that be to accomplish?
 
G

·
I've been looking at old thumpers on ebay partly becuz I miss kick-starting a bike. You know we're showing our age here - most of the board members here probably have never kick-started a bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
Most probably have never seen one. [laugh]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,957 Posts
ive got an 04 KLR250 that has been sitting for awhile and doesnt want to start.
you could come by my place and kickstart that for awhile if you want >:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dunno about you old farts, but I'm only 26. [laugh]

If someone made one and it didn't cost roughly the same as the rest of my bike, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. :-\

MH, only if I get to keep it if I get it running. [laugh]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
bullet boy said:
I've been looking at old thumpers on ebay partly becuz I miss kick-starting a bike. You know we're showing our age here - most of the board members here probably have never kick-started a bike.
jswledhed said:
Dunno about you old farts, but I'm only 26. [laugh]

If someone made one and it didn't cost roughly the same as the rest of my bike, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. :-\
No kidding. I'm 27. I just bought my kickstarting bike. It's an antique... You know, like those that remember them from their youth...

[cheeky]
 
G

·
slowpoke13 said:
No kidding. I'm 27. I just bought my kickstarting bike. It's an antique... You know, like those that remember them from their youth...

[cheeky]
Ha-ha, I remember my first electric start bike - a brand new 1984 Moto Guzzi SP650! There was just one problem - no kickstarter. I was outraged! What would you do if your battery was dead? Jeez...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
22, love kick-starts. I'd buy one for a monster any day.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,071 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
501 Posts
If I kick with my helmet on my visor fogs up.

I have to remember to fold my foot peg back down after the bike is running.

Riding with one foot peg is really hard. (see above)

Always check the kill switch because kicking with it off will not start a bike.

Modern riding boots are not made with kick start bikes in mind.


This is what I learned this fall with my first kick start only street bike. [laugh]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,309 Posts
28 - looking for kick start parts for my thumper.

First street bike was kick only. It kinda sucked in the winter. But, it's fun when it works out, and it's nice if you got a weak battery or if you are running a pretty much stator capacity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,800 Posts
Old-Duckman said:
-------------snip--------------
I also think that the headlight should not come on until the bike engine is running. I'm no electrical engineer...but how hard would that be to accomplish?
It's not hard.
With a relay and a diode, you can set it up so that the headlight won't come on until you trigger the brake light.
Or until you fold up the kickstand, if you've disabled that and still have the switch on the bike.
Or any other electrical event.... although the brake light or the kickstand are pretty nice as you won't ride far without turning the light on.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,071 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
I have an old 1983 Kawasaki  KZ750 Twin that has both kick start and electric. the bike has a decompressor you can activate when you use the kickstart. I only kickstart after it's warm  [laugh]. The ole shin busters, anybody remember these?
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top