Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
i'm considering going with superbike forks on my s4 and am thinking about tripleclamps. well before getting into the nitty-gritty of research, i scored a set of tripleclamps from a superbike for a pretty fair deal so i bagged 'em before the opportunity passed.
now here's the deal... steering stem diameter's the same and the s4 uses the same type of steering stem nut so i figure if i grind off the tab from the top yoke for the OEM damper, i can get everything to FIT just fine. the issue is how will the bike handle with the different offset?
the s4's chassis has a 24 degree rake which is fairly steep so would i benefit from having a slightly larger offset to step the fork out a bit? this would result in an increase in trail correct so the bike would steer a bit more heavily, but would also be more stable, no? i was surprised to see when the SBK's triples arrived that they have a greater offset than the S4's stock bits. that is, if you draw a line through the center of each fork's bore, the space from that line to the steering stem bore is greater with the SBK's triple than the S4's.

can somebody chime in here please? do i have this totally backwards? if i'm right in my understanding of how offset works, this could be a worthwhile experiment before i rebudget to buy other snazzy yokes.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: somebody set me straight... triple-clamp offse

if you look at offset, if it increases, it decreases the trail,

;D

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

yeah ... if you look at harley triples, they have pretty
big offsets to keep reasonable trail with huge rake.

from that drawing, trail should have a 1/cos(rake) term
multiplying the offset.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

In case you don't have a scientific calculator handy, the 1/cos(rake) term is 1.095 for a 24 degree rake.

Considering how difficult it is to measure the offset of the triples accurately, you can round that to 1.1 and it's plenty close enough.

IIRC, Alex said SBK triples made a Monster pretty twitchy. But YMMV, as 'twitchy' to some folks is 'just right' to others....

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Scrub radius baby.....how much more offset is there I wonder......
It would be interesting to try.....the S4 has pretty good trail already, and a slightly longer wheelbase then most SBK's.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

thanks guys... i at one time really had a solid handle on how rake, offset and trail were related but had a lapse in brainpower ;)
the difference in offset from the s4's stock yokes to the SBK's is about 3-5mm's as i can tell from a cut-out i made by tracing the SBK's bores on a piece of paper that i imposed over the s4's top yoke. not "exact" but i think that's about it.
i wonder how much of a difference this will make. i won't find out anyways until i get my hands on a set of SBK forks.
i really like the idea of getting a new c'cat top yoke and getting a custom (beefier) bottom made, but if the SBK yokes can be used for a whole lot LESS $$$, who am i to complain?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts