Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just had the wheels painted red, it's a 620 dark. There are a number of other mods too. I haven't seen too many dark bikes with red wheels, but I think it looks pretty sweet. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
dswerno, looking good!!! What did you do to that stock mirror???, are those Stratis pipe mods? BTW that Bronco looks pretty cool too!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I didn't do anything to the stock mirror, it's just a wierd pic, but I did take one of them off. I did have a bar end mirror but it broke last weekend, so I'm using the stock one temporarily.

Those are not Strati's pipes, they are my own, but for the most part a copied design. Instead of powdercoating I bought some high temp satin black paint from Napa and painted the sleeves. Came out really well. Thanks for the comps

Dave

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Your red wheels look sharp. Nice job with the shortie cans as well dswerno.
I also like your front turn indicator lights. Those are smooth. Where'd ya' get 'em?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are lockhart phillips flush mount V turn signals. About $13.95 from Newport Cycleworks. Ordered from there because it's close to where I live. Stick on with supplied two sided tape, the install really couldn't be any easier.

Glad you like it!

Dave

M

·
0 Posts
I bought a 1:18 scale dark monster model, and painted the wheels red to see what it will look like. (It is setting on my TV)

Now I know one of my projects for this winter.

Looks cool!!!!!

·
Registered
827 Posts
You said you had your wheels "painted", it seems like most people here have them powdercoated. Did you have to use a special kind of paint? What made you decide to paint instead of powdercoat? Was it the cost? I'm just curious to know if there are cheaper options than powdercoating, but I'd be afraid that paint would chip off. Sorry for 101 questions.

Looks great by the way. I love the look of red rims.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Stock wheels are painted.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stock wheels are painted. I had a friend do it on the side at a body shop he works for, so it didn't cost much. I did prep them myself though to save on cost. I didn't go with the powdercoating route because I live in a remote area of colorado, and I would have had to ship them somewhere for powdercoating. Plus, the guy at the body shop rides an R1 and he said he has painted the wheels on every bike he's owned and never had a problem with paint chipping off. ;D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Oh hey... off topic, but I notice in dswermo's sig:

"E30 M3 for life"

Great taste in bikes AND cars :)

(I have a white '88 with 2.5 and other stuff)

M.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oooh, another E30 M3 member.

Check your private messages. It's a '90.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
that has to be the cleanest garage I have ever seen. You should get together with my dad and go bowling sometime.
Thats a good start to the 7 day a week dream garage. How long until you get a Ferrari?

D

·
0 Posts
Sweet Bike, sharp wheels. I am diggin' those front indicators. Nice pipe mod, looks like you did a little extra hoping a curb?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Good to hear painting holds up well. I wasn't aware that the stock red rims were painted. I've never seen one in person. I guess I'll have to consider that for my bike when the time comes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I see that you did the twin headlight conversion. Looks like the kit from Spareshack. I installed mine last week and everything is okay, except that the high beam indicator glows a little bit when the low beams are on. Does yours do that?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope, I don't have that problem. Although currently only one of my lights works on low beam, they both work on high.

I'm not sure if I'll fix it though as it's kind of cool and reminds me of a superbike with only one side lit up for day riding.

David

·
Registered
40 Posts
your bike is really good looking ! :)...i have mine in red I was thinking to paint my wheels in black ! but i m not an expert with mechanic & i don t have the material to do that !

Do you think to paint this wheels would be cheeper than buy the DP ones...in black...??is it worth?
thx

JoeGas

·
Registered
236 Posts
Let's see: Both of my lights are illuminated on low beam and my high beam indicator is glowing. Only one of your lights is illuminated on low beam and your high beam indicator is not glowing. Seems like our harnesses were wired differently...

I'll probably leave it alone 'cause I prefer the look. I'll just stick a piece of electrical tape over the high beam indicator.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts