Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the link: http://www.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/22556761.html

_________________________________________________Since the ad won't be around forever, here's the text of it:

Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2004-01-16, 11:53AM PST

I am selling a used Ducati Monster 750 in red with 14,800 miles on it. I just picked up the bike used from a dealer a week ago. I had just learned to ride and this was to be my first bike. I got into small spill that dislocated my shoulder and got me re-thinking about this whole motorcycle riding thing. I paid $4500 for the bike, when I fell, the gas tank was slightly dented on the left side (but not scratched) and the left turn signal broken. Other than that, everything is fine.

I am asking $4200 because I want to sell with the bike:
- large AGV demon helmet in matte black (cost: $120)
- XL MotoGuzzi sport leather jacket in black (cost: $250)
- Helimot Deerskin gauntlets (cost: $170)
- BMW motorcycle shoes (cost: $85)

The Monster is stock except for carbon fiber arrow pipes that the previous owner had installed. Those are the $800 aftermarket pipes. I'd like to sell everything together but I'm negotiable in breaking the pieces up.
I wanted to learn to ride but the little fall made me realize that motorcycling's just a little too dangerous for me. Anyways, I've put in less than 5 miles since I picked it up from the dealer. Please email if interested.

·
Registered
447 Posts
He should have taken the MSF course first. We have a smokin' deal in Ohio. For $25.00, you get to take the course, they supply the bike and helmet, and you get your license when you are done.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Yep, he should have taken the MSF course first......jeesh, less than 5 miles and he lays her down, definitely needed the course!

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
In Pa. we have the same deal, but at no cost!!! But it is hard to get in a class cause they are always booked full!! You have to keep calling early in the spring and then you sometimes have to take your chances as an "alternate", that someone doesn't show up for the first nite of class then you are in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jeez, fall down once and quit?! Yes, definitely shouldn't ride - or do many other things I suspect...
Shame the tank got dented -- that's more than $300 worth of damage isn't it?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I dont think he realizes how much that little spill took off the value of his bike. Your talking at least $500 not to mention he probably bent some levers and maybe even the rear sets.

G

·
5 miles and took a spill. If he is willing to give up after a little spill its better than he doesnt ride. He will probably 2nd guess his decisions, not analyze mistakes and end up getting into more serious trouble down the road.

G

·
It's obvious the guy is worthless as a rider.

It's also obvious he lacks any courage or fortitude.

To top it all off, he's a terrible salesman. What about that pitch would make somebody want to buy at the price he's asking?

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
I don't know if he's WORTHLESS as a rider. Just inexperienced really. There IS an awful lot to be said for taking the MSF and learning to ride properly.
Shame he didn't do things properly, that's all.
T.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
The MSF isn't the cure all for early mistakes. I took the MSF and when I picked my new 02 M620ie up at the dealer we went through the prep, I got geared up got on and promptly fumble fingered the clutch and dropped the bike!

Don't get me wrong. I have great respect for the MSF and its work. I condone everyone interested in riding to go to the classes and learn before buying a bike to see if it is for them. I even go so far as to encourage some more expereienced riders to go for the advanced classes, just to freshen up skills and break potential poor habits.

That all being said I was very excited about owning my first bike. I was nervous, and slightly intimidated. Through no fault but my own did I have my "accident". The same was probably true for this poor fellow. Perhaps he didn't have the support of others or was mocked by friends and that put him off biking.

As riders we need to do what is best for us individually. I ride with some guys who will go into a corner at 50MPH faster than I will. It's their perogitive, it's their comofort level, not mine. I continue to ride with them because they respect my judgement and patiently wait for me to catch up at key junctions, well that and they are accepting of my need to pee every hour or so ;D

I guess what I'm trying to say is we should respect this guys instinct and decision to not ride and be thankful that instead of further risking himself and others he was brave enough to admit his lack of ability and or courage and gave up.

In my mind he's just one less hazard I might have to dodge some day.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... just underscores the fact that there are 2 types of people...

those who are born to ride and those who aren't... either you've got it or you don't.

... kinda like politicians.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts